Previously bloomed

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jimsox

I know this is a basic question but it's been on my mind for a while.....If a Paph. or Phrag. has previously bloomed will that/can that growth ever produce another spike and bloom? I don't mean off that spike I trimmed, I mean a whole other spike/flower from that plant. I'm asking because I have bought several in spike/in bloom plants and was wondering why I have seen nothing happening after I have cut the stem after the bloom was done. I'm not talking about, like on a Phal., I know that spikes from Paphs/Phrags do not re-generate from a spike/flourescence after trimming back. I was just wanting to know if I could ever expect anything to happen from that plant from which the previous spike/bloom happened and now I have a little brown stick just hangin out in the center of my plant. Thanks and have a great day!! P.S. please stop the rain!!!

Once a growth has bloomed it will continue to live (for a while) and provide energy for new growths but not produce another spike.

Thanks....looks like I need more seedlings.....Hmmmmmmph......well, not a bad thing I guess!!!

oh I'm addicted!! Just thought that they just kept on going and going with blooms......never thought to ask that question before....

My Paph. Hidecki Okuyama does, this is the second time it's happened. The flower stalk was staying short & it looked like the flower was gonna be deformed & I cut it off before it opened & it sent up a 2nd spike off that same growth & now it's doing it again. This plant I'm afraid could bloom itself to death!

I've had two of my Paphiopedilum send up 2 spikes from the same growth. One of my Paph has done it on two growths! I know the topic of deformed "spikes" vs actual spikes has come up before on the forum, but I mean two well formed spikes with multiple flowers have arisen from the same growth. The two Paphs I have which have done so are both cochlopetalum hybrids, for whatever that's worth

Somebody in this forum awhile back explained what was going on with thiis deformed spike/new normal spike phenomenon. But I don't remember exactly what was said. Unusual, though. The norm is one spike per growth. To have more spikes, you need more growths.

Somebody in this forum awhile back explained what was going on with thiis deformed spike/new normal spike phenomenon. But I don't remember exactly what was said. Unusual, though. The norm is one spike per growth. To have more spikes, you need more growths.

Yeah, I remember that. This is what you're talking about http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1783&highlight=spikes+paph+growth

For whatever reason, though, a couple of my paphs have sent out two fully formed spikes from one growth without any flower deformity :-/ I was trying to find a picture, but I can't :(

Yeah, what you're seeing here is the "spike" from the first flower is actually its ovary on a super short inflorescence. The spike then actually lengthens and the remainder of flowers pop up.

-Ernie

Yeah, what you're seeing here is the "spike" from the first flower is actually its ovary on a super short inflorescence. The spike then actually lengthens and the remainder of flowers pop up.

-Ernie

I've had this experience a few times. In fact I'll be posting a photos shortly of such an occurrence. The weird thing is that the 2nd spike comes up about 6 months later. I would have expected that if it was just the first spike lengthening it would have been a lot faster.

David

Back