Possible Rot on my Phrag?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After using hydrogen peroxyde, I usually add a few pinches of sulfur on the affected area. I find it helps fight off other possible infections.

HAHAAHA!I am really good at that!I like to randomly knock plants off the bench when watering too

Keep an eye on it for the next 2-3 weeks!

Paphman910

Thanks Guys. I will keep an eye on it and hope for the nest. So far it looks fine, I can see now suspicious areas of brown soggy tissue so so far so good. I think it has been helpful experiencing this outburst as now I know what to do if /when it should ever happen again.

I would use Dragon's Blood also if I had any. Also, I use Captan or lime powder instead of cinnamon, for the record!

Don't have any of those brands so I'll have to stick with good old cinnamon for now. I shall keep my eyes open though for some Dragon's Blood -sounds nice.

Just as an alternative I use Dragons Blood instead of HP or Physan (which I never had much luck with in the past).

I pot my long petalled phrag species in moss baskets instead of pots of various media. That tends to insure I can water heavy and still have them dry out well.

Using the low K high Ca/Mg feeding the overall problems I have with erwinia have tapered off dramatically, and pretty much restricted to old growth when I see it at all now. As Paphman noted it is associated with new root or shoot growth cutting through the old leaves.

Adding a pinch of "Cichlid Sand" around the base of a rotting growth also seems to either contain the spread, or augment the effectiveness of the DB/cinnomen treatment. CichlidSand is aragonite. So kind of a topical local application of calcium carbonate. Apparently it's friable enough to modulate pH.

You probably could also a pinch of pelletized lime.

I have a Tall Tails in moss and it is doing just fine in it. I like it as a medium and will use it more I think as I get more phrags.

I had a Phrag Grande that was very prone to rot when it was grown it in bark mix. It is now in straight rock wool and I didn't see any sign of rot since one year. Usually, I was fighting with disease from fall to spring on that plant. But maybe it is not the same kind of rockwool as yours. I buy rockwool "bread" that I cut in rather large pieces (more than a inch).

All of my other phrags are in rockwool and it is the best medium I think -for me anyway. I use a mixture of rockwool spun or loose and about 1/3 perlite. It is very easy to use and it is really convenient. My Mont Fallu has put out four new growths in about six months so for me, it works very well.

Don't have any of those brands so I'll have to stick with good old cinnamon for now. I shall keep my eyes open though for some Dragon's Blood -sounds nice.
Dragon's blood is sold by a STF member Gonewild's company. It is made from natural resins from some plant in Peru and works really well against rots. Since I grow in water mine is almost always used up! :(

Dragon's blood is sold by a STF member Gonewild's company. It is made from natural resins from some plant in Peru and works really well against rots. Since I grow in water mine is almost always used up! :(

Well I shall have to Google and see if it is available over here -I doubt it but you never know. Thanks Eric.

So do you grow in semi or full hydroponics?

Funny but I had the same type of rotting on my Leslie's Hair (Nitidissimum x popowii) last summer.. almost lost the plant... and I assumed it was due to the heat (slightly over 80F)
Maybe your plant is suffering from heat too ?

Funny but I had the same type of rotting on my Leslie's Hair (Nitidissimum x popowii) last summer.. almost lost the plant... and I assumed it was due to the heat (slightly over 80F)
Maybe your plant is suffering from heat too ?

Suffering from the heat? -in an English winter?? lol. - I wish! I don't heat my house as it would mean that I would have to win the lottery to do so so no, I don't think that it was that. I think what happened was that I misted the air a few times a few weeks ago as I noticed that my humidity was quite low. Normally in my house, because I am on the 14 floor of a tower block my humidity is at about 60 -70. However, I noticed that on a few days it had gone down to 40 and so I decided to help out my phrags by misting them. I haven't done it before and so I believe that the extra moisture added to the many cold nights that we have been having must have allowed the leaves to harbour liquid and so I developed rot. Hence to say, I will not be spraying again.

Last edited:
Suffering from the heat? -in an English winter?? lol. - I wish! I don't heat my house as it would mean that I would have to win the lottery to do so so no, I don't think that it was that. I think what happened was that I misted the air a few times a few weeks ago as I noticed that my humidity was quite low. Normally in my house, because I am on the 14 floor of a tower block my humidity is at about 60 -70. However, I noticed that on a few days it had gone down to 40 and so I decided to help out my phrags by misting them. I haven't done it before and so I believe that the extra moisture added to the many cold nights that we have been having must have allowed the leaves to harbour liquid and so I developed rot. Hence to say, I will not be spraying again.

ok, it just seemed similar to the rot I had... but at the same time wallisii is suppose to be one of those that are more heat resistant..keep us posted :)
I know misting can be one of the worst idea ever.. had a really bad experience with my kovachii..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ok, it just seemed similar to the rot I had... but at the same time wallisii is suppose to be one of those that are more heat resistant..keep us posted :)
I know misting can be one of the worst idea ever.. had a really bad experience with my kovachii..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hope your Kovachii is ok now. I want one of those beauties myself.

Latest posts

Back