please help me decide

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cheyenne

I am not sure if this is the right section to post his in.

Please help me decide which flask to get. I keep going back and forth between phrag. Fritz schomburg and paph. Magic lantern album. Of course there is always the chance the magic lantern could come out normal colored.

If it has to be an either or choice I personally would totally choose the Magic Lantern album. But like Rick said...get them both and more. :)

Both parents are full album not just half and half. I am not sure but I think the goal is for all album not just 25% or something.

right, but i don't know enough about genetics to know if that cross will yield album offspring or not
i do know that sometimes if you cross two different album species, the resulting hybrid may not be album
at least, i think i know that

Thats why I am having trouble deciding. This is the first time these parents are used for this particular cross. I know someone has made magic lantern album and they came out album(at least some). But its a guessing game. If not I have a flask of magic lantern, which would not be bad, just not my first pick. I guess I am leaning to get the magic lantern and hope for the best. If they are colored I could just sell them.

I checked it before I hit "post". I didn't want folks going to some nut job site. Although I do think orchids are more addicting than heroin. :D

Flasks, flasks.....it's such fun, no matter what one decides! I just finished repotting several hundred flasklings from last and the previous year. Time for some serious growth now! And what fun when they first start blooming!

get the vendor to send you a pic of the ML album flask. If the leaves are all green, it should be true.
Are the flasks you're thinking about from the same vendor? Then, of course, you need to take two at least, to save on the shipping costs.

Thats why I am having trouble deciding. This is the first time these parents are used for this particular cross. I know someone has made magic lantern album and they came out album(at least some). But its a guessing game. If not I have a flask of magic lantern, which would not be bad, just not my first pick. I guess I am leaning to get the magic lantern and hope for the best. If they are colored I could just sell them.[/QUOTE]

No! If you're young enough and have the time you cross two of the best siblings. From that you will get albums, 25% maybe more.

The album Magic lanterns would be more valuable because there aren't many around, especially in the USA. If you were in Asia I would say the Phrag cross. If you can have the grower grow them out to a good compot size. I know Tom Kalina had a flask is there another good source?!

Latest posts

Back