• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

PK

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not giving anyone anything to work with to get to know you, and like you. I read multiple threads where a lot of people chime in and try to help. Then its like you poo poo their opinion with the '' poor me '' attitude. I wish I could grow a lot of the new Chinese Paph. species, but because of CITIES rules etc.. I have pre-ordered plants from many vendors from outside the US for pickup at a local show. Didnt have to worry about any paperwork, just paid them to handle it. It comes with the hobby and no reason to whine about.If it is something you want bad enough you save for the costs and hope you can grow it.

You said pretty much the same thing about the way people view you in RL. You just need to figure out where you went wrong and work it out.

I've never done anything you describe. It's all in your perception. If anything I simply expressed frustration at the poor state of Australias domestic orchid supply regarding a species that has been known for quite some time now. Being overly enthusiastic about this hobby is all I have done and don't see the problem.I of course was disappointed when I discovered how challenging the plant was to grow and how hard it is to come by but don't see why you would get a bee in your bonnet about that.

Incredible that you still maintain I am at fault when I have done nothing to anyone.

Okay. Well, I don't know why you wouldn't see about getting one from Ecuagenera, who could bring it to a show near you. You wouldn't have to worry about any of the importing mumbo-jumbo, and you would get a blooming sized plant at a decent price.

They only ship flasks here so if I did purchase it would be almost a decade long wait before I see a bloom. That is a long time. Then their is the fact they are difficult to raise from flask. You can see why I chop and change my mind.

Ecuagenera has plans to be in Australia the entire month of August..I cant imagine them planning this without a keen sense of the rules

Yes they seem very professional and a good source if anyone else is interested in PK.

I won't pursue this plant because I can't justify the price tag or the time it takes to make one reach blooming size from flask which could be between 4-6 years from de-flasking the seedling.

Thanks for the replies and hopefully this thread will be of use to someone else.

I've never done anything you describe. It's all in your perception. If anything I simply expressed frustration at the poor state of Australias domestic orchid supply regarding a species that has been known for quite some time now. Being overly enthusiastic about this hobby is all I have done and don't see the problem.

Incredible that you still maintain I am at fault when I have done nothing to anyone.

We are all enthusiastic about this hobby here, but we don't troll the board with the same thing over/over again.

We are all enthusiastic about this hobby here, but we don't troll the board with the same thing over/over again.

Actually reading over the topics here you do talk about the same things as if repeating with no requirement for my presence.

And now I am a troll. Thanks. Your really someone I want to be talking to. Isn't trolling what your doing now.

Regarding branding people nutcases, as I am writing this in Brisbane it is 5:05 PM Eastern Australian Time while where you are in Baltimore it is 3:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time. Not exactly a time to be posting that would be conducive to someone with a healthy mental state, wouldn't you agree?

I originally was interested in the seedling on ebay and that's the only reason I even came back naively thinking someone here from the US may be generous enough to help me but seeing your attitudes towards me I would never ask for your help and in fact would never own a PK cause it would just remind me of you all.

Actually reading over the topics here you do talk about the same things as if repeating with no requirement for my presence.

And now I am a troll. Thanks. Your really someone I want to be talking to. Isn't trolling what your doing now.

Regarding branding people nutcases, as I am writing this in Brisbane it is 5:05 PM Eastern Australian Time while where you are in Baltimore it is 3:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time. Not exactly a time to be posting that would be conducive to someone with a healthy mental state, wouldn't you agree?

I originally was interested in the seedling on ebay and that's the only reason I even came back naively thinking someone here from the US may be generous enough to help me but seeing your attitudes towards me I would never ask for your help and in fact would never own a PK cause it would just remind me of you all.

I never claimed I had a healthy mental state, and maybe that's why I know crazy when I see it.

They only ship flasks here so if I did purchase it would be almost a decade long wait before I see a bloom. That is a long time. Then their is the fact they are difficult to raise from flask. You can see why I chop and change my mind.

Yes, they only SHIP flasks internationally. But when they come to shows, they will bring you anything off their list that they have permits for. If you contact them early enough, they can get permits for an adult plant and bring it to a show for you. Then, you can either pick it up in person, or they will ship it to you, from the show in Australia. Do you see what I'm saying?

I confess.
Mine died years ago, and I think about all you folks, everyday.

Hahaha, love the comic relief. The first one I tried died a couple months after I got it too. It was a tiny seedling (just deflasked) among the first released legally. That was back in... 2007? Now that the prices on older plants have eased up a little, I'm gonna try again. I'm quite excited about it, actually! I've read a lot of information on this forum that should come in handy.

My plant came with certificate from vendor. My number is WOC-20
We bought it Jan. 2008 it looks like.
It was easy to kill. Small, like the one you described.

Good luck with your purchase Joe.

My plant came with certificate from vendor. My number is WOC-20
We bought it Jan. 2008 it looks like.
It was easy to kill. Small, like the one you described.

Good luck with your purchase Joe.

Thanks! You can bet that any successes I have will be posted on this forum :). It's all about getting good information out there. I still have my certificate too. Dated May 27, 2007, certificate number 54 from Alfredo Manrique. Ah, memories. Even though I killed the plant, it was a fun experience going to this little meeting that was held by Peter Croezen, who brought all the plants in, and he did a presentation on his visit to Peru to pick them up and see the habitat. I placed my order that night, and received the tiny plant in the mail soon thereafter. It's high time I revisited this species, we have unfinished business :evil:.

Yes, they only SHIP flasks internationally. But when they come to shows, they will bring you anything off their list that they have permits for. If you contact them early enough, they can get permits for an adult plant and bring it to a show for you. Then, you can either pick it up in person, or they will ship it to you, from the show in Australia. Do you see what I'm saying?

while I am not supporting LiP's continuing battle or statements, I dont think you understand how difficult it is to import plants into australia. No vendor brings plants here unless they have a specific order to fill and then they give no garuantee they will survive mandatory fumigation followed by three months in mandatory quarantine. Some Q houses will not let you even see the plants or pot them into your own mix, others are not too bad, but mehtyl bromide fumigation kills so many plants no vendor will risk it.

It's very simple to say just get them to bring it, but would you pay hundereds of dollars for a plant that is high risk of expiring before you actually hold the plant yourself.

while I am not supporting LiP's continuing battle or statements, I dont think you understand how difficult it is to import plants into australia. No vendor brings plants here unless they have a specific order to fill and then they give no garuantee they will survive mandatory fumigation followed by three months in mandatory quarantine. Some Q houses will not let you even see the plants or pot them into your own mix, others are not too bad, but mehtyl bromide fumigation kills so many plants no vendor will risk it.

It's very simple to say just get them to bring it, but would you pay hundereds of dollars for a plant that is high risk of expiring before you actually hold the plant yourself.

You are right, I don't understand how hard it is to import stuff there. All I'm saying is if you want something that badly, then take the advice we have given and try. Vendors do clearly go there and sell stuff, and there are plenty of orchid growers in Australia who grow plants which aren't native, so it's obviously possible.

You are right, I don't understand how hard it is to import stuff there. All I'm saying is if you want something that badly, then take the advice we have given and try. Vendors do clearly go there and sell stuff, and there are plenty of orchid growers in Australia who grow plants which aren't native, so it's obviously possible.

I do agree here and I have done so myself, having imported from the USA and learned alot from it.

But literaly no vendor imports into Aus without a firm and paid for order, they all bring flasks and if you go through sydney be prepared to loose 10-20% at the inspection, hence we pay ridiculous prices.

Oh, and it costs well over $1000 to get a single plant through inspections, fumigation and quarantine, probably more like $1500 depending on which state you import into

I do agree here and I have done so myself, having imported from the USA and learned alot from it.

But literaly no vendor imports into Aus without a firm and paid for order, they all bring flasks and if you go through sydney be prepared to loose 10-20% at the inspection, hence we pay ridiculous prices.

I'm sorry to hear that. It is a sad thing that governments put these sort of restrictions in place in the guise of 'conservation' when conservation through responsible and sustainable cultivation is really one of the best ways to go. Instead they drive growth of the black market by making it more difficult to obtain plants responsibly.

That said, I can understand why your government would want to protect the unique and delicate ecosystem you have.

If I had known getting into orchids would be so much of a hassle I would have kept my beloved Aibos.

You live in a country with an abundance of incredible native orchid species, a thriving hobbyist community, and a range of horticulturally appropriate climate regions. Exactly what 'hassle' has prevented you from getting into orchids? Go buy something cheap from an Australian nursery and have at it already! Growing orchids is not a "Phrag kovachii or nothing" proposition unless you choose to make it so.

Why is my previous post not showing? I am sure there are people in Aus w/ resources to legally import Pk.

This is the funniest thread I have read for a long time. HA HA HA
Anything can be imported. Only thing is you have to pay lots because unless the importer puts 300% on top of his purchase price, its not worth his while to do it.
LIP. Instead of buying 1 FS plant which you will probably kill, buy 6 seedlings and learn to grow them well. If you can't find them now, wait a while, they will come around. Meanwhile get yourself something else to grow..

This is the funniest thread I have read for a long time. HA HA HA
Anything can be imported. Only thing is you have to pay lots because unless the importer puts 300% on top of his purchase price, its not worth his while to do it.
LIP. Instead of buying 1 FS plant which you will probably kill, buy 6 seedlings and learn to grow them well. If you can't find them now, wait a while, they will come around. Meanwhile get yourself something else to grow..

I don't think he is buying anything. I think he might be young based on this quote ,''If I had known getting into orchids would be so much of a hassle I would have kept my beloved Aibos.''. If I remember correctly they were AI pets that Sony made that were always in the Skymall Catalogs lol. I know they were expensive, but even when I was in my early twenties and finally making money to afford something like that. I wasn't interested in that stuff, the ladies and alcohol was more important.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: An usual thread to say the least.

Now to be constructive - How about joining TAPS? - first Tuesday of each month. I can give the address and details if your really interested.
Lots of Phrag and Paph growers and importers. Meet people. Share knowledge and show plants. Thats what its all about IMHO.

Latest posts

Back