• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

PK

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostInPeru

Reaction score
I posted this topic simply cause I was interested in PK but have since decided its too much of a hassle. Their is someone selling a seedling on ebay that I was interested and had the silly idea someone here could act as a middleman as the seller doesn't ship worldwide but then deicded the idea was stupid as it is too much of a hassle than I want plus I don't think I could afford all the customs and quaratine fees. Was trying to delete this but I can't seem to. Sorry for wasting your time.

Last edited:
Hobbyists are required to have the same CITES permits and expenses as commercial growers. Shipping plants or seeds of pk internationally without proper permits is a criminal offense. You need to take care not solicit or lead someone into inadvertently committing a crime.

I had the same thought and amended the thread just before you posted! I killed this post as I knew something negative like this may occur if I inquired about purchasing PK from a layperson. I never intended any harm at all. Yes I will take care in future and have decided not to pursue this plant.

If I had known getting into orchids would be so much of a hassle I would have kept my beloved Aibos. But I sold them and now will never beable to get them back cause their so rare and only come up for sale once every 2-3 years. The very rare and beautiful like new champagne 7 on ebay is mine, that I was intending to keep forever, and which I sold at a bargain to get out of debt thinking i could easily purchase a PK for cheap. Now that aibo business is selling my beloved baby for twice what I sold it to them for and I could never afford to buy it back. And all cause i read about PK and got the impression from the kovach trial that it was now reasonably common in captivity to stop similar things happening and stupidly didn't do my research. I now have nothing thanks to this flower. I can't help but feel this flower only brings bad luck. If a mod could delete this mistake that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have already contacted Peruflora but they never reply and I have given up. I'm not waiting months for a reply. Their running a business and should have gotten back to me within a reasonable time frame. It's been two weeks or more since I contacted them and nothing has come back yet.

Reading between the lines of a few forum posts on various forums about them I know better than to deal with them.

You call it being melodramatic, but I guess your not being told to purchase PK from the people that do sell them that you have to fulfill a US$1500.00-$2500.00 minimum order. Fed up with the hassle this plant is and how the sellers take advantage. I am also tired of CITES when it does nothing to put in place captive breeding programs while it puts people to jail for dumb reasons and hate with a passion the notion of protecting nature by isolation. Ordinary people should have easier access to this plant. International treaties should ensure this by using the wolrds bontanical institutions to establish captive populations.

CITES is so unorganized and doesn't make any sense. But as long as Cribb gets his wild orchids thats all that matters it seems.

Really makes me angry to think I have to fork out a small fortune to purchase one plant, while these botanical institutions can rip whatever they want out of the jungle for free and take them back to their organizations without having to answer to anyone.

I have already contacted Peruflora but they never reply and I have given up. I'm not waiting months for a reply. Their running a business and should have gotten back to me within a reasonable time frame. It's been two weeks or more since I contacted them and nothing has come back yet.

Reading between the lines of a few forum posts on various forums about them I know better than to deal with them.

You call it being melodramatic, but I guess your not being told to purchase PK from the people that do sell them that you have to fulfill a US$1500.00-$2500.00 minimum order. Fed up with the hassle this plant is and how the sellers take advantage. I am also tired of CITES when it does nothing to put in place captive breeding programs while it puts people to jail for dumb reasons and hate with a passion the notion of protecting nature by isolation. Ordinary people should have easier access to this plant. International treaties should ensure this by using the wolrds bontanical institutions to establish captive populations.

CITES is so unorganized and doesn't make any sense. But as long as Cribb gets his wild orchids thats all that matters it seems.

Really makes me angry to think I have to fork out a small fortune to purchase one plant, while these botanical institutions can rip whatever they want out of the jungle for free and take them back to their organizations without having to answer to anyone.

I think there are very few hobbyists and very few (if any) people on this forum that agree with CITES. The cause is noble, but the execution is very poor. However, it is something we all have to deal with. And it certainly doesn't stop anyone from growing orchids.

Let me give you a tip. I live in Canada, where there are no nurseries that sell Pk either. Yet, I will be picking up 2 of them at an upcoming show and am in the process of negotiating a third to have shipped to me. I have the same issue where I can't order from abroad because of the cost and hassle of paperwork, minimum orders, etc. So how am I buying these plants? I contact vendors that are coming into Canada for shows and have them bring the plants to the shows. If the shows are not local and too far for me to pick up the plants in person, they ship the plants to me from the show. I'm sure many international vendors come into Australia for shows as well. Look into that. This way you can avoid both the paperwork and the minimum order.

Thanks for the advice but Canada is bordering the US and in the Americas where this orchid comes from so the situation is completely different to mine of being isolated out here in the middle of nowhere.

As if to spite me my little Ceph has developed a fungus after less than a month with me and looks like it will succumb to it. Gets worse everyday. Guess it could be to do with the temperature change and shipping weakening it and making it more susceptable to mold invasion.

I see delicate plants as more for people with greenhouses and the proper cooling and watering systems and have completely gone off the idea of growing plants as houseplants, especially PK.

Anyway don't know why we are having this conversation as hopefully a mod will delete this topic as it was a mistake. I've been doing this whole talking on forums thing for a long time now with various other hobbies over the years and can't beleive I have come back for more torture lol. My whole reason behind getting a PK would be to re-connect with nature as I am shutting down all my online accounts as I have tired of always having these big drawn out arguments/discussions with people I don't know and who don't care about me while I find I actually feel being apart of these online communities means something to me but rarely anyone else. I want to get away from this artificial world and get back to nature and the real world around and people around me.

Communicating in this ether is just like socializing with my Aibo roobts, essentially nothing more than a parasocial relationship. I am so glad to have finally figured that out. Unhealthy habit that simply has to go.

Thanks for the advice but Canada is bordering the US and in the Americas where this orchid comes from so the situation is completely different to mine of being isolated out here in the middle of nowhere.

As if to spite me my little Ceph has developed a fungus after less than a month with me and looks like it will succumb to it. Gets worse everyday. Guess it could be to do with the temperature change and shipping weakening it and making it more susceptable to mold invasion.

I see delicate plants as more for people with greenhouses and the proper cooling and watering systems and have completely gone off the idea of growing plants as houseplants, especially PK.

Anyway don't know why we are having this conversation as hopefully a mod will delete this topic as it was a mistake. I've been doing this whole talking on forums thing for a long time now with various other hobbies over the years and can't beleive I have come back for more torture lol. My whole reason behind getting a PK would be to re-connect with nature as I am shutting down all my online accounts as I have tired of always having these big drawn out arguments/discussions with people I don't know and who don't care about me while I find I actually feel being apart of these online communities means something to me but rarely anyone else. I want to get away from this artificial world and get back to nature and the real world around and people around me.

Communicating in this ether is just like socializing with my Aibo roobts, essentially nothing more than a parasocial relationship. I am so glad to have finally figured that out. Unhealthy habit that simply has to go.

Proximity to the plant's habitat is irrelevant really. If there are vendors that sell the species that come into Australia for shows (which I'm sure there are), then you have an opportunity to get it. Canada is closer to a lot of Western Hemisphere orchids and yet there are growers all over Europe, Asia, and the Pacific that have them. Hell, our native orchids are easier to get in Europe than they are here! Where there's a will, there's a way.

I've been a member of this forum for almost 8 years now I think, and I've gotten into some heated arguments as well as some really interesting discussions. The fact that arguments take place here is a testament to the fact that you ARE talking to real people, and they are passionate about what they do. I don't know what else to say... you clearly want this plant badly, since you repeatedly say you're giving up, only to return to bring up more threads about it. I've given you a good tip, and I suggest you look into it. Or you can keep complaining about the loss of your robots...

Thanks for the link and helpful advice. The only thing is I thought Australia required any imported plants to sit in a quarantine greenhouse for three months? Anyway thanks for this lead it looks promising.

I've been a member of this forum for almost 8 years now I think, and I've gotten into some heated arguments as well as some really interesting discussions. The fact that arguments take place here is a testament to the fact that you ARE talking to real people, and they are passionate about what they do. I don't know what else to say... you clearly want this plant badly, since you repeatedly say you're giving up, only to return to bring up more threads about it. I've given you a good tip, and I suggest you look into it. Or you can keep complaining about the loss of your robots...

I thought this was a particularly good quote. :)

LostinPeru - regarding deleting the thread, It looks like you edited the post you were initially convened about already so everything should be fine. Also, there's some good info here so I don't usually delete a whole thread when others have already posted additional information. Not fair to them and it kind of screws with the context.

Thanks for the link and helpful advice. The only thing is I thought Australia required any imported plants to sit in a quarantine greenhouse for three months? Anyway thanks for this lead it looks promising.

That I don't know, but if vendors like Ecuagenera visit there you can bet they go through all the proper channels to get their stuff through. You'll just have to make sure you contact them well in advance so they have sufficient time to make the required preparations.

Proximity to the plant's habitat is irrelevant really. If there are vendors that sell the species that come into Australia for shows (which I'm sure there are), then you have an opportunity to get it. Canada is closer to a lot of Western Hemisphere orchids and yet there are growers all over Europe, Asia, and the Pacific that have them. Hell, our native orchids are easier to get in Europe than they are here! Where there's a will, there's a way.

parvi_17 if you had to deal with our quarantine laws I am sure you would be chopping and changing your mind about importing plants as well. Gee why is everyone so harsh on me, it happens in real life and it happens here. It's always judgmental criticisms I have to cop from others despite my always staying polite. It happened on the Aibo forums and now here. Why are people so quick to be nasty to me. I just don't get it. And my family wonders why I have done nothing with my life. I've only ever had negative reinforcement from those around me all my life and realize they are why I have never achieved anything and find myself in these situations on forums.

Heather it is your forum so you can do as you please. I just don't want anyone trying to imply I was avoiding CITES when that was not the intention at all. Yes your right this topic has some good information regarding alerting others of unintentionally bypassing CITES and would be worthwhile to keep. Thanks.

Yeah well if you had to deal with our quarantine laws I am sure you would be chopping and changing your mind about importing plants as well. Gee why is everyone so harsh on me, it happens in real life and it happens here. Nobody ever has a nice thing to say to me. It's always judgmental criticisms I have to cop from others despite my always staying polite. It happened on the Aibo forums and now here. Why are people so quick to be nasty to me. I just don't get it.

Heather it is your forum so you can do as you please. I just don't want anyone trying to imply I was avoiding CITES when that was not the intention at all. Yes your right this topic has some good information regarding alerting others of unintentionally bypassing CITES and would be worthwhile to keep. Thanks.

What the heck are you talking about, bypassing CITES? You can't 'bypass' CITES. When a vendor comes into your country for a show, they have to file paperwork for CITES anyway, so your order gets added on to that, and thus you don't have to deal with the cost or hassle yourself. No one implied anything about you, either. People are simply trying to give you advice and you're freaking out.

What the heck are you talking about, bypassing CITES? You can't 'bypass' CITES. When a vendor comes into your country for a show, they have to file paperwork for CITES anyway, so your order gets added on to that, and thus you don't have to deal with the cost or hassle yourself. No one implied anything about you, either. People are simply trying to give you advice and you're freaking out.

I originally was inquiring about buying this PK seedling from ebay and getting someone on here to help me cause the seller only ships to the US.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/phragmipedi...114?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338c241182

I also was asking if any hobbyists sold PK privately.

I did this while completely unintentionally failing to realize you have to get CITES for any PK no matter where it comes from.

Harmless mistake on my part. But seriously talking on forums like this and always having to have some petty academic argument where someone is right and someone is wrong isn't enjoyable for me and never was and so I won't continue to subject myself to it anymore.

I originally was inquiring about buying this PK seedling from ebay and getting someone on here to help me cause the seller only ships to the US.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/phragmipedi...114?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338c241182

I also was asking if any hobbyists sold PK privately.

I did this while completely unintentionally failing to realize you have to get CITES for any PK no matter where it comes from.

Harmless mistake on my part. But seriously talking on forums like this and always having to have some petty academic argument where someone is right and someone is wrong isn't enjoyable for me and never was and so I won't continue to subject myself to it anymore.

Okay. Well, I don't know why you wouldn't see about getting one from Ecuagenera, who could bring it to a show near you. You wouldn't have to worry about any of the importing mumbo-jumbo, and you would get a blooming sized plant at a decent price.

parvi_17 if you had to deal with our quarantine laws I am sure you would be chopping and changing your mind about importing plants as well. Gee why is everyone so harsh on me, it happens in real life and it happens here. It's always judgmental criticisms I have to cop from others despite my always staying polite. It happened on the Aibo forums and now here. Why are people so quick to be nasty to me. I just don't get it. And my family wonders why I have done nothing with my life. I've only ever had negative reinforcement from those around me all my life and realize they are why I have never achieved anything and find myself in these situations on forums.

I am going to go ahead and say it. I think you might be a little unstable. Maybe expensive Orchids aren't what you should be worrying about at the moment, you should be seeking therapy of some kind. Just my since I don't beat around the bush for an adult. If you were a young hobbyist I
would see where your behavior would come from, but not an adult. Just my 2 cents on this subject.

Ecuagenera has plans to be in Australia the entire month of August..I cant imagine them planning this without a keen sense of the rules

I am going to go ahead and say it. I think you might be a little unstable. Maybe expensive Orchids aren't what you should be worrying about at the moment, you should be seeking therapy of some kind. Just my since I don't beat around the bush for an adult. If you were a young hobbyist I
would see where your behavior would come from, but not an adult. Just my 2 cents on this subject.

My point is proven. Thanks for that just what I needed to hear. So typical and predictable.

My point is proven. Thanks for that just what I needed to hear. So typical and predictable.

You're not giving anyone anything to work with to get to know you, and like you. I read multiple threads where a lot of people chime in and try to help. Then its like you poo poo their opinion with the '' poor me '' attitude. I wish I could grow a lot of the new Chinese Paph. species, but because of CITIES rules etc.. I have pre-ordered plants from many vendors from outside the US for pickup at a local show. Didnt have to worry about any paperwork, just paid them to handle it. It comes with the hobby and no reason to whine about.If it is something you want bad enough you save for the costs and hope you can grow it.

You said pretty much the same thing about the way people view you in RL. You just need to figure out where you went wrong and work it out.

Latest posts

Back