Phragmiwhatium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
I'm not so great with identifying the greenies, I'm wondering what your thoughts are. I'm seeing heavy longifolium influence, but is this one of the longifolium varieties? Is this most likely a hybrid?

I purchased this not long ago as Phrag. Living Fire. I knew the foliage looked off, so I expected a mystery plant, but the price was right and actually I mostly picked it up because I like the smaller growing phrags. So, needless to say, no big surprise it's something else.

For what it's worth, the leaf span is about 16 inches (~40cm) and fairly narrow. They're also somewhat thicker than my other presumed to be the real deal longifolium seedling. The right petal looks kind of funky, but the petals are still in the process of elongating & twisting. This morning it was the left petal that looked funky.

tAyYa5r.jpg

25v8vzs.jpg

ZeXowRE.jpg

I would say Dot is right, though it might be Sorcer's Apprentice. With either hybrid I suspect it won't stay small long. Both can become fairly substantial plants.

I would say Dot is right, though it might be Sorcer's Apprentice. With either hybrid I suspect it won't stay small long. Both can become fairly substantial plants.

Yeah, either of those hybrids has the potential to become monstrous, I've seen it first hand. I'm hoping for the best, I don't have room for, nor do I want one of those beasts (flowers are pretty, foliage is too large for under lights).

I'll hold on to it in hopes that it was made with some of the smaller varieties of the parents -- I know there are pint sized longifoliums out there and I used to have a lindleyanum that lived comfortably under lights until it bloomed.

And worst case scenario, if it starts to expand, I can gift it, sell it, or donate it in next year's auction.

Latest posts

Back