Phragmipedium pearcei (and an ecuadorense)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a lot of differnce in the way Phrags grow. If your plants are in a s/h container, they dont need a pan of water underneath because they have a reservoir of water in the bottom of the container. You should water so the water flushes once a week minimum though. The worse thing I find you can do to phrags is let the media go bad. I'm switching to a mix that stays wet/moist but wont rot, using diatomite and rockwool cubes in mixes. I have a lot of plants to switch out though. :( I also grow in most Hydro as opposed to s/h so I might be rotting out organic media in a higher than normal rate. Most phrags, except caudatum they say, do grow wet. :D

THanks Eric, I don't have any in s/h now. I switched over to the bark mix, but it breaks down too quickly for my liking. Now you have me curious about the mix you're using. More details??? Do you mix it yourself?

You're welcome. Yes, I have many different media I mix myself depending on how/what the plant is doing. I got the idea about the dolomite/rockwool cubes because Orchids Limited is using it for some Pk/hybrid seedlings. I was afaid of rockwool because I'm allergic to the spun glass product that aquarium filters use but this stuff is totally different. Seems to be working ok so far, especially for seedlings that need moisture.

Last edited:
Do you use a mix of different types of rock wool? I think I heard somewhere that there is a water retentive and a water resistant type.

Interesting, I always though "ecuadorense" was the larger one, I guess I mixed up. Makes sense now! "Mon Petit" is this clone's its name

...wow! Do you have a photo of this minature JP?

Hi Fern,
No I don't have photo from the flowers, neither from the plant, but I can take a picture of the plant if you want to see it.

I'd go with what Eric says about using relatively inert media. But from my standpoint, one of my pearcei has been in only sphagnum or bark since I got it in 2002, and only been repotted only once or twice. There is no media left to see, but there is some live moss. If there was media its long rotted out. This is the one I periodically chop out old bloomed growths and through a handful of peat moss in the space.

Generally they say that the long petaled species like it dryer, but I had great luck for some years with a wallisii in a basket of sphag that I also left in a shallow pan of water. It totally overgrew the basket, and when I tried to repot I broke a lot of roots, and then over the course of a year lost it to erwinia.

the medium began to smell and I didn't like that...
can I water them several times a week without rotting the roots?...
Is there a medium that stands up to this better than others?
I don't recall ever having a smelly medium, I would not think that is desirable for ideal growing conditions seeing this species grows alongside riverbeds. I have mine in a clay pot, I use Lance's mix (bark, green moss & sand) and added some small lava rock, water 2-3 X's a week. A hint I picked up from somewhere, has worked really well - plant it like you would a bonsai plant - on a mound! New growths & the crown aren't staying wet causing rot problems.
Another media you might consider, I haven't tried it on this phrag, is cypress. I get the mulch at Home Depot for $2.50, if chunks are too big, I cut them with my pruning shears or throw them on my flower beds. About half my phrag crosses are in it & I really like it.
Gilda, my enabler - how's yours doing?

Thanks for the input GR. When I repot I'm going to try some things that have been mentioned. Now I need more phrags to experiment on.

Generally they say that the long petaled species like it dryer, but I had great luck for some years with a wallisii in a basket of sphag that I also left in a shallow pan of water. ...

I agree. My wallisii is in a plastic pot with slits. Medium bark plus charcoal and sitting in water. It grew faster sitting in water.
I sit all my Phrags in water, including long petals. If they like being slightly drier, I make the mix less dense.

Ok, next question,

How often do you all change the water they are sitting in???

I use pretty small pans or trays. The plants suck the water completely up over a few days to a week (depending on how sunny), and then I fill them back up.

If you end up with permanent standing water for longer periods than a week, then you probably should flush them out at least once a week.

Check on Ray's recommendations for flushing SH pots.

Latest posts

Back