Phragmipedium La Houguette

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrag-Plus

Reaction score
This is the cross of dallesandroï x Beauport a huge flower!

ko004.jpg

Beautiful shape and color!
EYF is the Eric Young Foundation, which I believe specializes in the hybridization of besseae (correct me if I am wrong)?

That one is gorgeous and must be huge - it's casting a shadow on the clouds in the sky!!! ;)

Great looking flower. A nice added bonus is the lack of the besseae "up, up, and away" growth habit which drives me up the wall.

e-spice

Beautiful shape and color!
EYF is the Eric Young Foundation, which I believe specializes in the hybridization of besseae (correct me if I am wrong)?
http://www.ericyoungorchidfoundation.co.uk/ofb.html
They actually specialize in other orchids.
With the work of Dr. Wimber they were able to use colchicine to exploit the ploidy altering effect to get lots of 3n and 4n hybrids. They also made "early" acquisitions of such plants such as Pk and others to make a number of interesting hybrids. Unfortunately, their plants are very difficult to get in the USA.

EYOF plants are occasionally available in the UK. It used to be just odontoglossums and cymbidiums. Then they branched out into other genera.
If you ever get a chance to visit, do so - it is completely mind blowing.
If you talk to the guys there it is pretty easy to go round the main greenhouses and not just the small display area. The best time is late winter when the cyms, odonts, miltonias and paphs are fully out.
I have Pk hybrid 'La Vingtaine' ( kovachii x Mem Dick Clements) currently in bud that originated there. The first bloom was mis-shapen but I've high hopes for the bud on this second growth,
David

Thanks for the info!

I have a Cape Sunset (Eric Young 4N 'Haley Suzanne' x schlmii EYOF)...does that mean the schlimii was from their greenhouses? (Sorry for the endless newbie questions!)

Thanks for the info!

I have a Cape Sunset (Eric Young 4N 'Haley Suzanne' x schlmii EYOF)...does that mean the schlimii was from their greenhouses? (Sorry for the endless newbie questions!)

I think it would be safe to assume that a plant with the clonal name 'EYOF' came from Eric Young Orchid Foundation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back