Phragmipedium kovachii at the Tokyo Dome show!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

neo-guy

There was a display at the Japan Grand Prix 2009 International Orchid Festival of Phrag. kovachii. This included a plant in bloom!
You will note that it is in a temperature controlled environment behind glass.
This was the 1st day of the show, and you can see that the dorsal sepal is already starting to fade.
This was an extremely popular display with a long line to see it!

Enjoy!
3286017375_427d4c22a6_b.jpg

For many more photos of the display, please click link below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets/72157613933496133/

looks like they had a rather complete display about this 1 bloom (unfortunately in japanese)!!! Thanks for the link! Jean

Argh!!! The poor thing looks dried out!! :sob:

Thanx for the link. The photo of the plant leaves in-situ looks a little 'too' clean! :wink:

Now if we take this kovachii & compare it to Chuck's, how will they set the standard for judging? The shape of the petals is so different or would that be OK/acceptable?

Chuck's flower changed from day to day, at some point looked similar to this one. Check out Leo's pics in a previous thread, showing the flower through it's changes.

Thanks for the pics! I love seeing this species. I have some questions, though. Do these pictures show the correct colour of this flower? It seems very difficult to capture the correct colour of this species, so I don't know if the colour and shades vary in different plants of this species, or if it is just the lighting, or cameras used, etc., that are the cause. This is the lightest coloured one I've seen so far.

Also, is it just me, or does the flower that Mr. Kovach is holding look very little like what we have been seeing as Phrag. kovachii? Was it a bud that was just opening?

As i recall the flower did seem lighter than the pictures I've seen. It could also be due to the lighting and the camera taking the picture through glass.
The flower Mr. Kovach is holding does indeed look like a bud just opening.
Peter T.

,.. Do these pictures show the correct colour of this flower? It seems very difficult to capture the correct colour of this species, so I don't know if the colour and shades vary in different plants of this species, or if it is just the lighting, or cameras used, etc., that are the cause. This is the lightest coloured one I've seen so far...
I find some colors are hard to capture accurately on digital & the lighting is certainly going to make a difference, especially for those of of that have lesser experience! :eek:
How many different shades of blonde, burnette or redheads are there? How boring if they were all the same shade, mother nature doesn't do that, does she?! We do know with besseae that temps often influence the color - are you thinking that might be the case with kovachii? I guess we will have to wait for second bloomings on these plants to find out!

Latest posts

Back