Phragmipedium hirtzii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the interesting points, Eliseo, Tom and Rob! After Eliseo pointed this out, I can really see the big difference in the shape of the "horns" (I added one more photo of this in the first post).

It looks like that I have to get the original description (and I might need to do self-fertilization for fun).

I also posted a side-by-side photos of this species and P. longifolium var. roezlii (from Tom) in another thread for no good reason other than they were blooming at the same time. Are all variety of P. longifolium has greenish/yellowish pollinia? My P. hirtzii has red/brown pollinia.

It would be great to self your plant also my plants should be spiking soon. I think that it would breed true. Then we should describe it as a var of hirtzii. I've been calling it var. colombian or var. anchicaya (the valley where it is found here in Colombia) but since it is not described could be var. naokii. :rolleyes:.
The main reason why I do not think it is x roethianum is because the lack of horns in the pouch. roethianum keeps the horns of the both parents. The pouch rim remembers me Lorifolia x Himantopetalum more than Lorifolia x Lorifolia. But i do have the feeling that it is not a hybrid but a var of hirtzii.

Last edited:
I did just self-fertilized today, Eliseo. It is probably a regional variety as you said.

The left side photo of P. hirtzii in the Phrag. Checklist of Orchid Digest doesn't seem to have the horns (although it is difficult to tell from the photo).

I couldn't find lots of info about P. x roethianum, but it does seem to have the horns as Eliseo said.

Latest posts

Back