Phragmipedium Don Wimber 'D&B' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Don Wimbers! Yours is spectacular Darlene!!
(I think I have a div of this from Bill, but no flowers yet. I have to check, lol.)
I have 4 DW seedlings in bloom, here are 3 of them.View attachment 24531View attachment 24532View attachment 24533

Kate those are scrumptious.... the color variation through the flower(s) is just wonderful (to my eyes...)

who's breeding is that (and if you have the grex# or the parents that'd be a plus)? I'd love to track some of those down...

Kate those are scrumptious.... the color variation through the flower(s) is just wonderful (to my eyes...)

who's breeding is that (and if you have the grex# or the parents that'd be a plus)? I'd love to track some of those down...
Hi Rich,
Those are from Chuck Acker, deflasked on or about June 22, 2018. Most of my batch have bloomed before, but I would not say they are fully mature yet. The Grex # is CA657 and the parents are Eric Young ‘Rocket Fire’ x besseae var. flavum ‘Rob’. Chuck predicted that the flower size and shape would be improved by the use of this flavum. I have never taken one in for judging (good luck with that), but might give it a try once I grow them up a bit more. The colors are really spectacular. As with a lot of phrags (for me, anyway), there is a fair amount of variability from flower to flower. Best, Kate

Hi Rich,
Those are from Chuck Acker, deflasked on or about June 22, 2018. Most of my batch have bloomed before, but I would not say they are fully mature yet. The Grex # is CA657 and the parents are Eric Young ‘Rocket Fire’ x besseae var. flavum ‘Rob’. Chuck predicted that the flower size and shape would be improved by the use of this flavum. I have never taken one in for judging (good luck with that), but might give it a try once I grow them up a bit more. The colors are really spectacular. As with a lot of phrags (for me, anyway), there is a fair amount of variability from flower to flower. Best, Kate
Hi Rich,
Any of these for sale?

Well done, Darlene and Kate!

(Kate, did you see Jason Fischer's lecture on Phragmipedium? After describing his cultivation methods he said something like "And here's the best way to grow Phragmipedium - move to Hawaii!")

Well done, Darlene and Kate!

(Kate, did you see Jason Fischer's lecture on Phragmipedium? After describing his cultivation methods he said something like "And here's the best way to grow Phragmipedium - move to Hawaii!")
Hi Paul, I tuned in to a talk he gave to the Hilo Orchid Society, which was mostly on Neofinetia falcatas, and he did not mention it.:cool: The house next door to me is sold, but there are plenty more. Come on down!

Hi Paul, I tuned in to a talk he gave to the Hilo Orchid Society, which was mostly on Neofinetia falcatas, and he did not mention it.:cool: The house next door to me is sold, but there are plenty more. Come on down!
Hi Kate, the talk can be found on YouTube. I would love to move over, but family roots here make it a difficult decision. My wife does have some cousins on Oahu and Hawaii Island. Maybe I can convince her!

Latest posts

Back