Phragmipedium besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Niiiice Darlene! I'd like to try to grow besseae again, but it seems they're just not happy in my gh. I dunno why...so
frustrating.I’ve bloomed 3 forms in my apartment. Only d’allessandroi can survive my summer temps in Chicago. Heartbreaking to raise a seedling up to bloom only to watch it melt when the temperature hits 85F. I’ll parrot back what I’ve been told in here: every Fahrenheit degree above 79F exponentiates the likelihood of sudden doom. I’m so sorry for your loss. If you can keep the temps below 80F in your greenhouse at all times….

Brucher, I certainly tried to keep the temps. below 80F and most of the time I was successful. All my other
Phrags. sustained a bit of damage here and there, but they're doing well and blooming now...also Phals.
seem to be doing well and blooming now. That's a bit of a surprise!

Thanks all!!

Liking both. Tell us about parents and source…. Please. ;-)
The typical one is 'Red' x 'Zephyrus Mega' from Orchid Inn. I purchased it as a seedling. The flavum is from @tomkalina; 'Fox Valley Gold' HCC/AOS x self

@abax and @BrucherT - I am not sure what I am doing to keep these alive and, mostly, thriving. They do see temperatures over 80 in the summer with passing heat waves. I place them outside in a shady spot that gets dappled sunlight for the summer and keep them moist. They seem to like it. I lost two this year due to neglect. Some others pouted but they are bouncing back now.

thanx for that ... at the paph guild at the huntington back 2020, i purchased what i thought was a nice division of that Fox Valley gold... turned out it was 3 pieces... looks like 2 will flower this year :)

Back