Phragmipedium besseae 'Wössen" 2008

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

An extraordinary clone of Phragmipedium besseae came in flower this year in the nursery of my friend Franz Glanz in Unterwössen.
I have made the pictures some days after his return from a big flower-show. So the gigantic plant lost many of the flowers.

PhragmipediumbesseaeWssen12-2008Pfl.jpg

Phragmipedium besseae 'Wössen" 2008

PhragmipediumbesseaeWssen12-2008Ein.jpg

It is really one plant.

Best greetings

Olaf

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!! Super fantastic display!!!! Congrats!!! (Eric will love it...)

Very, very nice!!!! Did I possibly already see that plant at the WOC in Dijon?? Jean

Possibly yes, but Franz has (used to have?) a few of these monsters, the cultivar "Lund" being one I recall. Early plant with a shape that is quite natural and that's not meant as an insult.

Always a pleasure to see one of these plants at a show.

Best wishes, Carsten

Dear Jean Lux and Carsten,
it is not the same clone like in Dijon.
In Dijon the clone 'Lund' was shown. 'Lund' was bigger and had more growth, but had not so excellent flowers. Last year 'Lund' was going down, but Franz has now a better clone, which I show as 'Wössen'.

Here the clone 'Lund'. You can see that the shape of the flowers was not so good.

232besseaeLund.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

maybe overpotting isn't such a bad thing!
Can you imagine repotting that specimen!?

I'm curious about the culture, especially the media being used, since all we can see is spahgnum moss. Give my regards to Mr. Glanz and thanks for posting. BTW, I have a spot in my bedroom for that plant! :crazy:

Latest posts

Back