Phragmipedium besseae 'Wössen" 2008

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Jean Lux and Carsten,
it is not the same clone like in Dijon.
In Dijon the clone 'Lund' was shown. 'Lund' was bigger and had more growth, but had not so excellent flowers. Last year 'Lund' was going down, but Franz has now a better clone, which I show as 'Wössen'.

Here the clone 'Lund'. You can see that the shape of the flowers was not so good.

232besseaeLund.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

I may be wrong, but this"Lund" seems to look like dalessandroi type, so we should not use a besseae standard ( like besseae "wossen" )to judge it.
By the way, Olaf, I am speechless with both pictues, I never seen anything as huge as these, thanks for posting.

Re-potting

Makes you wonder if you should ever re -pot - and did he ever during the 10 years - j

Dear Hien,
it was really a besseae, not a dalessandroi. You can see it at first in the long distances between the growth.

Here a picture from 2004 of the Phrag. besseae 'Lund'

PhragmipediumbesseaeLund2004a.jpg

and a picture of the flowers

PhragmipediumbesseaeLund2004aAussch.jpg

The plant was cultivated in a bark-mix. In the first picture it looks like cultivation in sphagnum, but the plant was arranged only for the show with.

Best greetings

Olaf

Olaf, the Lund's photo on 2004 is fantastic.
Did you imply before that it went down hill after 2004?
(it still is very impressive in the recent photo) But what causes the decline from 2004 to 2008?

Last edited:
WOW! Imagine seeing that plant in person.

Imagine you go to a show and miss most of it because you keep circling around this plant :rollhappy: I spent some time in front of this pot and don't think it's wasted.

Olaf, you're telling us "Lund" has died in the meantime or is just not in show shape anymore? Thanks for bringing up fond memories.

Best wishes, Carsten

Dear Carsten,
my english is sometimes too bad.
I would say that the plant lost a lot of flowers on the way at home, only flowers.

Best greetings

Olaf

I had forgotten to tell about 'Lund'. This plant was divided, some smaller parts sold, the biggest part of died. The reason is not clear.
It is always a problem for the nurseries to cultivate so big plants, especially when you have two of the same species but also many others.

Best greetings

Olaf

Fabulous specimens! Thanks for sharing. Just wondering how the climbing habit of this species was overcome to make such a specimen. I've never seen a besseae specimen before. What size pots are they growing in?

Dear Kevin,
the pot is more than 1 meter in diameter.
Always when the young growth come, they were pressed down and fixed with a metallic hook. After some months the new growths fixed with their own roots and you take away the hooks (I don't know, if hook is the correct word.)

Best greetings

OLaf

Thanks for that info Olaf! It looks like the distances between the growths is quite large - is this normal for besseae?

Back