Phragmipedium besseae var. flavum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crap! the flower just dropped off when I picked up the plant this second. I was hoping to bring it to the orchid society meeting this Sunday!!!! maybe the next bud will open on time.
I usually put all my dropped phrag blooms in water. The flower can be kept decoratively for another week that way

Says who???;)

I'm a bit confused by that! :confused: flavums are smaller than the red/orange flowered ones? I can't quite agree with that, I always had a feeling they were slightly bigger than my normal ones. I've got to keep an eye on that next time...

If they'd be smaller for real...would anyone have used them for breeding? :confused:
Mybe it's got to do with my preference of the flavum besseae's over the normal ones...but I'd have sworn my yellows are bigger....

I think the flavums are smaller than the huge line bred reds like "Pucker", etc. Fren, I wouldn't divide it until it got bigger and v. Dalassendroi is not really that different from standard besseae that you want to harm a blooming flavum by shrinking it. IMHO.

John, most of what sells as besseae in North America is line bred like typical OZ stuff. I try to collect besseae from different sources just to have a variety of different, less than perfect shaped, plants. Unfortunately, i've killed a couple that might have been considered historic. :(

Thanks guys :)

Nope, I haven't found any difference yet. At least there isn't a difference with this parentage.

I think the bloom is smaller than the usual besseae, but perhaps it is because my plant is young?

It's probably because it's a small plant, but variation may occur too... My mother plant is huge, larger foliage than the regular besseae and the flowers are quite the same size.

Back