Phragmipedium besseae var. flavum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
A first boom. This besseae flavum has a background of 'Wings of Gold' x self, which I bought from J.P. Faust this spring. Another sibbling was also in spike but it blasted. But that is ok, they are small plants. I am only letting this one make one bloom I think. Not as difficult to grow as I heard they were, maybe breeding made them easier.

This one is a pale clone even though its spike developed slowly on a cold winter windowsill. My camera doesn't photograph the colour right (takes the bloom nearly white!) so I had to adjust the blue spectrum in the photos to correct to a more accurate yellow

DSCN1853.jpg

DSCN1774-1.jpg

I love the windows on the besseae pouches...They're just so cool. Now here they are in another color. Awesome! :)

Thanks guys :)

Good work, Fren. Do you find successful culture of this form to be any different than that of standard besseae?

Nope, I haven't found any difference yet. At least there isn't a difference with this parentage.

I think the bloom is smaller than the usual besseae, but perhaps it is because my plant is young?

2010 blooming

I am updating with this years blooming. I think that besseae var. flavum is easier to grow than my other red besseae plants and it has doubled in size (two new growths and 1 old growth). I believe that it may multiply again next year because I see 3 new leads. It also does not climb.

This year the colour is much brighter, it was too pale last time. Also the pouch and petals are slightly rounder, but more perky. I have two spikes too. Nothing changed culturally except that I repotted all my besseae into a clay pot recently to help keep the root systems cool.

Something that needs to be done in breeding is to increase the size of flavum besseae blooms. I don't think the flower size compares to the red ones.

4684106525_1732c5e83d_b.jpg

4684738878_1fbf558304_b.jpg

I promised a friend a division...now I need to decide of I should divide it later this year or wait until the following year. (I may get a dalessandroi in return!)

Back