Phrag.Sedenii 'Margo'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
An old plant, this suffered a setback and has just rebounded over the last year or two to bloom again. The phrags just didn't like the CHC as well as I had thought they wold and had gradually gone downhill over the years and so I went back to the formula which had worked well previously, discarded due to the difficulty of working with it, fine bark/rockwool/sponge rock. This division was a gift from my oldest friend maybe 30 (?) years ago. He had had it for 10-15 years at that point, and had originally acquired it as a division from an older local grower, who said he'd had it for a number of decades, so I would suppose the plant is maybe 80 years old at least. One of the finest pre-besseae phrag hybrids IMHO, along with Schroederae and Cardinale. So happy to have it flowering again!!

sedenii0819.jpg

Lovely! I have a very old sedenii that is
in spike now as well. I love the plant
and enjoy the many blooms enormously.
These "oldies" deserve to be maintained
and divided now and then for friends.

Thanks for sharing. Why "fine" bark?

Finer mix more water retentive, and mixes better with the rockwool. Coarse bark would make a somewhat drier mix, necessitating bigger pots, which I don't want.

No. They need repotting yearly regardless of medium. With coarser particles it would be more open, but A.they don't seem to need that, and B. I'd have to water them daily, which will never happen! - or put them in 16" pots!!

Latest posts

Back