Phrag. schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried this S/H? It sounds like not a good candidate if it needs fresh flowing water.

I've been growning schlimii S/H since 09 maybe? I got it from a Canadian friend;) and I nearly killed it growing in a traditional pot. The trick for me was keeping the roots cool by evaporation in S/H. It has bloomed once but mostly blast :(
There are fabulious roots BTW for SE Texas at sea level!

I hate this forum sometimes.

I've heard there's a very thin line between love and hate :) :(

I've been growning schlimii S/H since 09 maybe? I got it from a Canadian friend;) and I nearly killed it growing in a traditional pot. The trick for me was keeping the roots cool by evaporation in S/H. It has bloomed once but mostly blast :(
There are fabulious roots BTW for SE Texas at sea level!

With s/h that's the key; achieving the right temperature for the roots. I had a schlimii in upstate ny window sitting in water but in winter in barely-heated room and it rotted. (Like some phals but not in summertime) as long as the root zone temp is where it should be, especially in hot Texas or home/greenhouse environments where it isn't getting too cool, it can work well.
Might be good idea to have a temp probe in pot in s/h to see if it gets too cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This guy is in diatomite at the moment but that's gonna change as soon as blooming's done. I found with some other Phrags that I'm not getting as good root growth in diatomite as I do in my standard CHC/perlite/charcoal mix.

This guy (and all my phrags) gets watered every other day.

That's a chubby one!

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk

Have you switched to CHC mix from the diatomite? If so, do you find that it's doing better?

Back