Phrag. schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My schlimii has been in bloom for a month or two now and I finally snapped a pic. I got this guy from Piping Rock 2 years ago and it has bloomed every year.

--Stephen

Nice one. Congrats! I also got mine from the same source around the same time.
But for me, it's been blasting buds for the past two years. So kudos on flowering it! :)

That's a beautiful "fat" clone. Nice!

Simvan, keep your schlimii a bit on the cool side (like a Cattleya) and water it every day. Do not stand it in a puddle of water as stagnant water will really make it unhappy. They like LOTS of FRESH water and lots of air too. So, an open, free draining mix that you water every day is perfect for them.

Thanks for the info John. I'll follow your advice and stop leaving it standing in a saucer filled with water for the next cycle. :)

I'll follow your advice and stop leaving it standing in a saucer filled with water for the next cycle. :)

In nature, they are found growing in association with running water.....LOTS of fresh water. Even though they like to be wet, they are not adapted to old, stale water low in oxygen. So, daily watering, allowing copious amounts of water to run through the pot and drain out of the bottom, which creates a vacuum inside the pot that draws in lots of fresh air as the water escapes through the bottom holes, creates the right mix of water and fresh air for the roots. Once you've got happy roots, your plant will be happy too!

Has anyone tried this S/H? It sounds like not a good candidate if it needs fresh flowing water.
I haven't tried that; but, just as in other mediums, schlimii would probably do well if it was watered heavily every day and the mix was thoroughly flushed with fresh water. It's worth a try with a spare division to see for sure.

Has anyone tried this S/H? It sounds like not a good candidate if it needs fresh flowing water.

Nice chubby flower.

Yes, I've grown one in S/H for nearly 2 years and it is doing well. It has increased in size and blooms each year.

Its probably in the batch Glen got from Hawaii. Very nice strong plants. I guess I have to add that to the list! :eek:$$ I hate this forum sometimes.

Latest posts

Back