Phrag schlimii 'Afton'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a division of this from Buzz at Windsong last year. He said he thought he got it from someone in Minnesota, which makes sense, because Afton is a place name in Minnesota. One of the long time members of the OSM mentioned that he seemed to recall that a member of the club had used Afton for a cultivar name, but no one could recall who it was.

PhragschlimiiAfton.jpg

PhragschlimiiAftonplant.jpg

...One of the long time members of the OSM mentioned that he seemed to recall that a member of the club had used Afton for a cultivar name, but no one could recall who it was.

looks great!
do you have aq+ or orchidwiz? i'm not sure, but perhaps you can search by cultivar name?

I don't think it would be in AQ because it hasn't been awarded.

Wouldn't the cultivar name be fundamentally irrelevant if the plant has never been awarded or registered in some way? Say you got it to judging and only put schlimii on the sticker, couldn't you put the cultivar name of your choice it it got an award? Unless it can be proven that the original cultivar name was put in by the person who made the cross, it seems to me that any cultivar name would do. :confused:

I don't think it would be in AQ because it hasn't been awarded.

right.
i was thinking that there may be something with the same named awarded. no guarantee but...
i'll try to take a look at aq+ when i get home later.

Nice one! And nice photo too!

Wouldn't the cultivar name be fundamentally irrelevant if the plant has never been awarded or registered in some way? Say you got it to judging and only put schlimii on the sticker, couldn't you put the cultivar name of your choice it it got an award? Unless it can be proven that the original cultivar name was put in by the person who made the cross, it seems to me that any cultivar name would do. :confused:

The way I understand it, you can give any plant you want any clonal name you want (if it doesn't already have one), even if it hasn't been awarded. If it does get awarded, it would make sense to keep the same clonal name, since if you have already given away divisions, it would be confusing to have the same clone with more than one name. Is that what you were asking?

The way I understand it, you can give any plant you want any clonal name you want (if it doesn't already have one), even if it hasn't been awarded. If it does get awarded, it would make sense to keep the same clonal name, since if you have already given away divisions, it would be confusing to have the same clone with more than one name. Is that what you were asking?

I suspect that some sellers or even resellers use this ploy as a way to get free publicity. They simply give a plant the name of their company and wait for someone else to get an award in their name? I don't mind giving credit where credit is due. I'm just not ready to do it when it is not. :p

That is a very nice Phrag schlimii.

Ross, the name you are looking for is Dick Sonnen. Dick lives (or lived?) near Afton, Minnesota, he was a friend of Dr. G.R. "Dick" Clements. Dick Clements passed away in 1990. I believe schlimii 'Afton' is originally a collected plant, Dick Sonnen showed the plant at AOS judging and in shows several times in the 1989 to 1995 time period, I saw it back then. It was not awarded at the time, because AOS judges were using the hybrid labelled Phrag schlimii 'Wilcox' as their standard for what a schlimii should be. Of course time has proven without a doubt that schlimii 'Wilcox' is a hybrid, most likely Cardinale, but it could be Sedenii.

Dick Sonnen also has a clone of Paph micranthum 'Afton' FCC/AOS which was awarded in 1991 at the Chicago Judging Center.

Dick was a friend of Duane McDowel and Arnie Klehm, and if you ever had a chance to meet him, he is a genuine nice guy. I did not have much contact with him, and lost touch with him over 10 years ago. He's worth looking up if you are ever near Afton sometime.

You can see a picture of Dick Sonnen's Paph micranthum 'Afton' FCC/AOS at the IOS website, on the Awards Page dedicated to FCC's awarded at the Chicago Judging center. Here is the image from the IOS.

FCC91.jpg

When you acquire a plant and it is labeled with a clonal name you should keep that clonal. The reason Kevin gave is the main reason. But even without being awarded there are bizillions of clones used to make hybrids. When a plant is used to make a hybrid somehow the breeder must keep track of the clones used. So the breeder might give it a clonal name or number. As the owner of the plant you can call it anything you want but changing or loosing the original clonal name can only lead to confusion later.

I doubt many growers or breeders add clonal names just to try to get free advertising if the plant gets awarded later. Probably the biggest reason a grower or seller would take time to add a clonal name to the label is if the plant has exceptional qualities or the plant is divided and suddenly there are two plant that are actually the same.

Imagine the confusion if a grower had an outstanding plant of award quality but it was never shown. Then the grower divides it and sells off 5 plants to different people. Those 5 people all take their plants to shows and get awards. They all give their plant their own clonal name. So what you would wind up with is 5 awarded plants all with different clonal names. But really there is only one clone. Then how does a breeder know that they are all the same genetically?

Best keep the name of the adopted plant as labeled or at least tell it it's family heritage so when it grows up it does not fall in love with it's self.

A little more on clonal names. Kevin has covered most of it but I would like to add an example plus some more logic. In the recent Orchids the case of rothschildianum 'Commander', 'Mont Millais' and 'Borneo' may very well be one in the same plant! So, someone wanting to buy roths with a mixed gene pool and saw seedlings for sale using the above clones may expect to pay a sizable amount for a great cross. Where as, if seedlings of selfings from the above clones where offered you may not be interested in buying or pay a much more reasonable price. In theory if these were the only clones of roth in the world to breed with (assuming they're one in the same clone) after a few generations you would have some very boring flowers. Delenatii is a real example of boring flowers before its rediscovery.
A plant can have a clonal name before or after it is divided, it doesn't matter. It should have one after it's divided for sure. Especially if you plan on trading, giving or selling a divison off. If someone gets a divison awarded then all divisons of that plant are awarded and they will carry the same clonal name and award. No-no's It's not right to change the clonal name of an awarded plant, it's not right to take a known awarded plant in for judging under false pretenses and get a new award inturn a new clonal name. This could be what happened to the roth(s) above. It's not right to take a divison of a unawarded plant in to judging, get an award and then change the name to suit yourself. Also, if you were to get a divison awarded you need to let whoever you got the plant from know it was awarded.
One exception to changing the clonal name of an unawarded divison for me would be,"It's the only know divison still alive" One example I have is P. chamberlainianum or victoria reginae, whichever you prefer. I got a back div. which went downhill and has taken me 10 years to get to 8 inch ls. The original plant died 8 years or so ago. I know as a fact it was only divided that one time. If I do bloom it I'll give it a new clonal name.

Thank you Kevin, Lance and Rick for your imput. I understand the situation better now. :)

Sweet schlimii Ross! :smitten:

Great discussion about clonal names guys; I love ST for this - learning something new everyday....:clap:

Sweet schlimii Ross, and with great history (thanks to having a clonal name and folks with good memory..Leo).

This species is notoriously hard to self. Gilda has a very floriforous clone that may be worth breeding too Ross.

Thanks all for those more in-depth explanations. The problem comes when trying to track down where those divisions are, if you get an award on one. Most people don't think about that. I have a plant that I divided and gave to a friend. I have no idea if he has divided his piece, but if he has then there could be 3 or more people with pieces of the same plant. If any one of us gets and award, the right thing to do would be to tell the others - but who does? Who even knows that that's what you are supposed to do? There could be many, many plants out there that are like the rothschildianum mentioned - many clonal names for the same plant. I doubt there would be any way to track that down, or even to be able to say for certain that two plants are in fact the same clone.

Back to the schlimii - if the 'benchmark' for schlimii was Cardinale in the past, this one should be taken to judging again now. I don't know if it would get anything, but it looks pretty good to me!

Latest posts

Back