• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Phrag 'Ruby Slippers'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going to miss out on the garden's orchid show and the camellias in the Linnean House! (Oh well, there have to be some things to look forward to here aside from hoi polloi events with seas of portapoties, barely-seasoned bratwurst and Sahara-esque heat...)

Sounds like you girls had a fun trip!
Yes, she's a very good sport to put up with me. She also points out things I miss which is nice. I miss a lot so I keep her on her toes.

Now what's this about missing the garden's orchid show and the camelias in the Linnean House? I may miss the orchid show but the camelias should still be there, no? I don't use portapoties, I'd rather the pee ran down my leg than use one of those. No bratwurst for me either. Come to think of it, I really don't eat junk if at all possible and do McDonalds maybe once a year and that's only out of desperation. Thanks for the heads up, I'll bring a lunch with me with a sandwich and fresh fruits or something. I don't like ballpark type foods.

We had a good time, LOL & that's what counts even if we didn't buy anything! (Well ... fat chance of that happening!) I think you ended up passing on the popowii because of the confusing reclassifying that's taking place. You may want to bloom what you have first & see exactly what you have. Lauren had to be leaving by a certain time to pick up her son from school, so how late were you? Things got a bit rushed plus we were getting the grand tour of 2 private growing areas, so you can't pass on that!

Now what's this about missing the garden's orchid show and the camelias in the Linnean House? I may miss the orchid show but the camelias should still be there, no? I don't use portapoties, I'd rather the pee ran down my leg than use one of those. No bratwurst for me either. Come to think of it, I really don't eat junk if at all possible and do McDonalds maybe once a year and that's only out of desperation. Thanks for the heads up, I'll bring a lunch with me with a sandwich and fresh fruits or something. I don't like ballpark type foods.

I about hyperventilated when reading sausages being equated with McDonald’s. That’s…heresy! Good sausages (much like quality pizzas) don’t have to be crap. Not trying to sell them as health food exactly, but it’s all in the ingredients and moderation. You don’t need to pack a lunch though. There’re plenty of decent restaurants here. I was referring to the Roman Holidays that occur incessantly, presumably to avert an uprising.

The camellias are pretty much gone in May; they’re a winter treat here. Still, a nice month overall to visit.

We don't do pork sausages here but I have eaten venison sausages in the past and they're sort of ok, if you like that kind of thing. Maybe I didn't sink my teeth into a quality sausage. Glad I don't need to bring a lunch to the gardens as I will have my camera and one less thing to haul around is appreciated. I really don't like fast, fatty, or fried foods in general; probably just me but they upset my stomach.

Duh, camelias would be history by May. I don't grow any camelias and totally wasn't thinking about the end of their blooms!

Hey goldenrose, there are those out there who believe amazonica is synonymous with richteri. I asked what his beliefs were and he indicated they were definitely not the same plant. Evidently the Royal Horticultural Society deems them to be one and the same. Personally, I’d like DNA used to clean up the mess but that may or may not happen any time soon and I’m not all that sold on the RHS being the end all to issues such as this being as how plants from different populations displaying different characteristics could be involved. Based on his comments as well as photos I’ve seen online and at a few shows, I am of the neophyte opinion that different characteristics are being exhibited (for what ever reason) in the plants he sells as amazonica and richteri so I decided to buy the division of the amazonica. If they end up formally lumping back to richteri at some point in time, oh well. I don’t see myself ever registering a hybrid in the future so I’m not going to get hung up on acceptable taxa so I think I’ll simply continue to buy what I like the looks of regardless of what it supposedly is or isn’t. I’m in this for pure pleasure. One thing is for sure, varieties will ultimately be deemed to be their own species over time and there are going to be name changes because of the politics involved and I steer clear of battling taxonomists because it puts my head in a tailspin.

I also asked him what he believed the deal was with wallisii, warcewiczianum, and popowii. I didn’t know that warscewiczianum was re-named popowii or that wallisii was now warscewiczianum until it was mentioned above and was curious about his thoughts about the wallisii I had purchased this summer. He asked who I had bought it from and when I told him, he stated it was probably really a wallisii. I’ll buy that there were issues with the original wallisii specimen which has resulted in all this confusion because specimens are often mislabeled. I buy that the darker form of caudatum var. warscewiczianum is now popowii which is why I want one. I love my caudatum var. sanderae which may or may not be an actual variation but plain old caudatum. Still haven’t quite figured out where caudatum var. roseum fits into this mess but I’m sure somebody knows. Now, exactly what a real wallisii is would be beyond me right about now although I can definitely see why most plants currently labeled as warcewiczianums are really popowii. My guess is that I may or may not have a “real” wallisii but that I do have a “real” warscewiczianum and that I almost had a “real” popowii. I did want to buy a popowii from him and he had said he had pulled one for me but with all the ohhhhing and ahhhhing going on, it probably got set down somewhere and never made it into my pile. Waaaaaa, I wanted the popowii and I'm thinking it's still sitting over by his wife's Streptocarpus which was where we were when he last had it in his hand!

The one plant that I did "pass on" that I put back that I wanted really really really bad was that Paph. Pacific Shamrock 'Green Shoulder' x Stone Lovely 'Tidal Wave '. I had that beast in my hand and wanted it so bad I could taste it but his facial expressions deterred me. He was such a sweet man that I couldn’t buy It based on how horrible he thought the flower was on the plant.

Latest posts

Back