• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Bulbophyllum beccarii or Bulbophyllum echinolabium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bulbophyllum beccarii seems like the rarest orchid ever 😉. Does anyone know were people sell them. Orchid nurseries seem to have them in private collections but no one sells them. I probably couldn't grow it but it just interests me: plus the plant it huge. Also who sells Bulbophyllum echinolabium. Thanks and happy growing

Just be patient & watch the major nurseries & ebay. They'll pop up eventually; these things come in waves. All that said... are you SURE you want these species lol?

Echinolabium is pretty cool - massively tall flower, bad smelling, attracts flies like other bad smelling things, what's not to like.

That said, I got mine from Carter and Holmes, more than a decade ago.

Interestingly, I have come across grexes of echinolabium that smelled like freshly cut aromatic cedar. Very pleasant.

Bulbophyllum beccarii seems like the rarest orchid ever 😉. Does anyone know were people sell them. Orchid nurseries seem to have them in private collections but no one sells them. I probably couldn't grow it but it just interests me: plus the plant it huge. Also who sells Bulbophyllum echinolabium. Thanks and happy growing
The big problem with beccarii is its growth habit, it takes up a lot of room and most growers can’t afford to keep a whole crop of them. We have tried selfing ours on three different occasions with no luck, so it also may be self incompatible. We do have a number of hybrids on the way with it though.
As for echinolabium - give us another year or less and you’ll have at least one source for nice echinolabium 😉

The big problem with beccarii is its growth habit, it takes up a lot of room and most growers can’t afford to keep a whole crop of them. We have tried selfing ours on three different occasions with no luck, so it also may be self incompatible. We do have a number of hybrids on the way with it though.
As for echinolabium - give us another year or less and you’ll have at least one source for nice echinolabium 😉
Nice 😃

Bulbophyllum beccarii always comes as wild collected plants, more or less established. Some restart as tiny plants with 8-15cm leaves and are sold as ' young plants', but strangely, aside from hybrids, I have never seen or heard of any seed grown beccarii anywhere...

Latest posts

Back