Phrag. Rouge Bouillon

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen this one advertised on ebay a couple of times and
hesitated to bid. I'll bid next time. Beautiful bloom and
exceptional for a first bloom. I love the detail in your
photographs.

Monkeybusiness-fl (Jag orchids) & Luckygirl on Ebay both having the Rouge bouillon QF1484 at one time , however Lucky Girl also has the different Rouge Bouillon from Chuck Acker's breeding (these are still small , so i don't know about the flower situation yet)

I had been thinking that the dalessandroi might reduce the stoloniferous growth pattern.

With Jason Fischers, I have seen that the flowers vary remarkable depending on exactly which besseae and MDC is used in the cross. I am sure the same is true with this cross.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Dot,

Does the tag have the number QF1484? if it does , I think they came from Quintal farms ,wait a few days to see if the dorsal fatten out more, the pouch hang down more vertical, and the bloom become even more red .
I have 4 Rouge Bouillon, 2 with the tag QF1484 with exquisite red blooms (first bloom Dec 27th 2015 , this week April 12th, 2016 they are into the 7th blooms , still have more buds) one has flower 10.4 cm , the smaller plant has 9.5 cm across , 7cm dorsal . The petals are more pointed than yours however . After open a few days, the dorsals flatten more and stand straight (not cupping likes some Jason Fischer) The pouches hang straight down as well instead of 90 degree , so looking side way ,the whole flowers appear straight like a sheet of paper .
I am looking forward to see how the other two Rouge bouillon ( Chuck Acker breeding) will look like, one of them I got from Littlefrogfarm here .

Indeed, it does, Hien! QF would indicate Quintal Farms. The dorsal hasn't flattened much yet, but this is only the first flower.

Angela, I actually purchased the plant from Natt's. Anchalee assured me it was a good one, and I do believe her.

Indeed, it does, Hien! QF would indicate Quintal Farms. The dorsal hasn't flattened much yet, but this is only the first flower.

Angela, I actually purchased the plant from Natt's. Anchalee assured me it was a good one, and I do believe her.

I like this cross QF1484 a lot , I only have two plants yet both with straight vertical dorsals and the pouches hanging straight down ( I think this dorsal trait is from dalessandroi) , thus the flowers present themselves very well , while some Jason fishers the pouches and the dorsals forming 90 degree angle , the dorsal also cupping like a spoon (I notice this in quite a few besseae) , the flowers do not look fully open .

Thank you Dot and Hien for the info. on the plant. I'll just
cruise by Natt's to see what's available.

Hien, I thank you for the insight on Jason Fishers. I haven't been terribly impressed with the few I've seen.

Eric, no I haven't seen any nice ones in person. A few here
and various 'net sites. I like the color of the Rouge much
better and it's not listed on Natt's website at the moment.
Maybe when Chuck gets back from his trip (Canada?), he
may have some hanging around. I won't know until next
week.

A good Jason Fischer is better, the lateral sepals don't droop as much. Rouge Bouillon is a pretty common plant since Chuck released flasks. Try Lucky Girl Orchids.

Lucky Girl has some small Rouge, but not the QF1484.
Anchalee will have some more later in the season.

Eric, I don't see any droop, but then I'm a relative newbie to Phrags. What I do see is outstanding crimson
without a hint of orange. The bit of cup to the dorsal isn't
unexpected in a first bloom.

There are many red besseae hybrids. Jason Fischer was just the start, Elizabeth Castle, Windsor Castle, Red Wing, The introduction of fischeri adds another dimension of darkness. Also remember, the flesh is not red, that comes from the fine hairs. Most times photos dont show the true color unless corrected like Dot's.

Lucky Girl has some small Rouge, but not the QF1484.
Anchalee will have some more later in the season.

Eric, I don't see any droop, but then I'm a relative newbie to Phrags. What I do see is outstanding crimson
without a hint of orange. The bit of cup to the dorsal isn't
unexpected in a first bloom.
I think
- the Rouge bouillon is hot red (red orange)
-the Jason Fischer is more of a cool red (red magenta)
The Jason fischer is just a tiny tad more saturate , but form wise I only have one good Jason Fischer (and that is a FCC division, which means it already is sorted out from a bunch of siblings by the original owner) , the first Jason Fischer in bloom that not sorted out yet is terrible in form , the dorsal is so cupped , the petals width (not length) is slightly larger than the Rouge Bouillon, but have many folds length wise. the throat of the pouch is so overlapping it looks like it wearing a Kimono), and it forms 4 inch long stolon , I did not keep it . I still have 3 more Jason Fischer to bloom out to see if any of them is better than the 2 Rouge Bouillon (I have only two QF1484, and both of them are keeper) , there are two more Rouge Bouillon from Chuck Acker's breeding not blooming yet to be compared later .

Last edited:
There are many red besseae hybrids. Jason Fischer was just the start, Elizabeth Castle, Windsor Castle, Red Wing, The introduction of fischeri adds another dimension of darkness. Also remember, the flesh is not red, that comes from the fine hairs. Most times photos dont show the true color unless corrected like Dot's.
I agree with Eric that the color contribution of the hairs is more than the background of the petals , and the photo sometimes is darker than the true color seeing by eyes . This even more so in the case of hybrids with other phrags that look red in the back of the petals & dorsal but very washed out in front of the petals ( Inca Ember and others , who would want to admire a flower from behind all the time?). That said, the Rouge Bouillon is true saturated orange red looking from the front .

This discussion reminded me that the quality of the parents in any cross is important for the end result of the hybrid. On top of that is the randomness of the sorting of the genes. Then we finally get to our own culture (temperature, amount of light) to determine what a flower finally looks like.

Phrag Jason Fischer has the most FCC awards of any orchid hybrid of any type. Obviously, most anything can be improved. As with anything popular, we went through a period when many crosses of Jason Fischer were made and not everyone had outstanding besseae or Memoria Dick Clements to use.

As with the most popular breeds of dogs, relatively indiscriminate breeding results in a number of fairly mediocre off spring. I have only seen (and have) Orchids Limited's' Jason Fischers (both older and newer versions), as well as their Red Wing cross. I also have a Fox Valley Fireball (but mine is more purple).

I am sure that high quality parents in Rouge Bouillon will result in a fine flower but I wouldn't want to compare all of the different red Phrag hybrids without a careful comparison of the best examples of each of them. Probably no one would really like to do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Perhaps it's my monitor, but I don't see any orange at
all in Dot's Rouge. The besseae I have blooming now are
lovely Chinese Reds. I'm the daughter of a painter and was schooled intensely about color growing up. I still say
it's crimson...no orange. My four besseae are Peach Cobbler x Colossal Peach and Balance x Curves and the
Chinese red has a great deal of orange in it.

Actually I have a fair number of seedlings left... I haven't bloomed any of mine yet though.

Rob

Hi Dot,

Does the tag have the number QF1484? if it does , I think they came from Quintal farms ,wait a few days to see if the dorsal fatten out more, the pouch hang down more vertical, and the bloom become even more red .
I have 4 Rouge Bouillon, 2 with the tag QF1484 with exquisite red blooms (first bloom Dec 27th 2015 , this week April 12th, 2016 they are into the 7th blooms , still have more buds) one has flower 10.4 cm , the smaller plant has 9.5 cm across , 7cm dorsal . The petals are more pointed than yours however . After open a few days, the dorsals flatten more and stand straight (not cupping likes some Jason Fischer) The pouches hang straight down as well instead of 90 degree , so looking side way ,the whole flowers appear straight like a sheet of paper .
I am looking forward to see how the other two Rouge bouillon ( Chuck Acker breeding) will look like, one of them I got from Littlefrogfarm here .

Perhaps it's my monitor, but I don't see any orange at
all in Dot's Rouge. The besseae I have blooming now are
lovely Chinese Reds. I'm the daughter of a painter and was schooled intensely about color growing up. I still say
it's crimson...no orange. My four besseae are Peach Cobbler x Colossal Peach and Balance x Curves and the
Chinese red has a great deal of orange in it.
Of course it is not orange like the pure Dalessandroi or other orange phrags.
It is just more leaning to the orange direction (direction of scarlet, vermilion,crimson tint) "relatively" when compare with the red of the besseae (carmine tint) .
Also this cross has MDM , which is already a cross using besseae & sargentianum (not dalessandroi twice)

Hien, interesting observations about the perception of color. Of course, there's individual bias to the perception as well. Very few of us are
totally objective about the colors we see. Perhaps I don't see the
orange tint because my besseae have been blooming a long time and
I'm a bit tired of the bright red/orange. Maybe my monitor is different. Human perception is wonderfully diverse.

Latest posts

Back