Phrag. Randy MacDonald

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photo of the contraption
P1190948.jpg

Thanks for the photo! That looks a little like what I have done. Is there an old growth still in the pot? I got my Phrag. Noirmont when it had started a new growth going straight up in the air. I was wondering what would happen to it, and it grew, and started growing roots, and then started to spike! I took a small clear Dixie cup, cut the bottom out, and slid it over the growth, then put moss in, to encourage the roots. I'll have to stake it, aas well as the spike, as the spike develops. We'll see what happens!

What I meant about cutting the growth off, is if this growth starts a new growth that does the same thing, that will become very cumbersome. If they have their own roots, can't I cut it off, and pot up up on it's own? Next time, I'll try to pin the new growth down, (like on a previous thread of the specimen besseas) so that I don't end up with this mess.

Anyway, you've got a nice plant there, and great flower! Thanks for the pics!

If it's got a root system you can separate it; but don't forget that most sources don't recommend cutting up plants to have less than 2 growths!

Is there an old growth still in the pot?
Missed this. Yes the original growths' roots are in the pot [which is really a 12" tall bird-feeder :p]; although there's only a leaf remaining from them. The new growths don't have any roots of their own longer than 1/2" and they're not in any media!

Latest posts

Back