Phrag Predator

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been waiting about 5 years for this one to bloom... Very pleased to finally 'meet' it..! The cross is Phrag. richteri x Phrag. caudatum var. warscewiczianum and was registered by J.L. Fischer in 1999. Is that Jerry or Jason..? No indication on the tag as to where I bought this, and I cannot recall.

Yes, it was Jerry that made the cross.

Robert

Ummm Eric, you're showing our age too if you know about
triffids! One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Wait a
minute...ever seen Attack of the Mushroom People? Really
old Japanese classic in b/w.

Sorry Dennis, triffids aren't nearly so lovely as your
Phrag. On the other hand, your bloom can't eat people
head first. ;>)

That's a film I missed, though of course one hears about it often.

The petals are 27.5 cm long today, just shy of 11". So they are continuing to grow. I'll take a fresh set of pics shortly.

I another forum, Carson (cborchids) has posted these comments:

What's a mystery to me is why the dorsal is so droopy a la humboldtii, which was the pollen parent. I'd have expected the dorsal to be upright like richteri. Huh.

and then:

I think they used the long petal parent as the pod parent and it got the shape from that. If so, the pale color suggests they actually used warscewiczianum (formerly wallisii) instead of humboldtii, which Braem calls popowii and used to be warscewiczii. That would make this, if all true, Phrag. Scheherezade.

Any comments folks?

I think they used the long petal parent as the pod parent and it got the shape from that. If so, the pale color suggests they actually used warscewiczianum (formerly wallisii) instead of humboldtii, which Braem calls popowii and used to be warscewiczii. That would make this, if all true, Phrag. Scheherezade.

Any comments folks?

Richterii hybrids are usually paler than the parents so it is hard to be sure. The pouch shape is more popowii-like so I would keep the label as is (changing only the name of the parents (richteri x popowii).

Latest posts

Back