Phrag. Peruflora's Cirila Alca

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice flower, I'm wondering though. As more and more PK hybrids pop up on the forum here. How hard are they "culture" wise compared to a regular PK?

I'm really interested in growing either PK's or their hybrids ( as soon as they are available in the EU ). But at least the price toghether with the problems people encounter in PK culture is still preventing me from "investing" any money in them.

Very nice flower, I'm wondering though. As more and more PK hybrids pop up on the forum here. How hard are they "culture" wise compared to a regular PK?

Not as bad as PK for sure. My Pk hybrids grow well and some are rather big plants already but none has yet flowered apart Cirila Alca. Like all phrags, it seems they'll flowered when they want to. One thing though: they take a while to take off but once the leaves get larger they grow faster and faster.

As Shiva (Michael) mentioned, they take a while to get started. The hybrids are easier to grow than the species, :( costly discovery. In a couple of years the prices should be reasonable; I'm already finding Pk hybrids inbut for $50-60 US.

I noticed a curious phenomena with my Cirila Alca. The dorsal sepal folds down over the lip during the day then goes up again when the light goes out. Temperature goes up to 25°C and the humidity is maintained between 50 and 60%. Has anybody seen this on Pk hybrids?

Not as bad as PK for sure. My Pk hybrids grow well and some are rather big plants already but none has yet flowered apart Cirila Alca. Like all phrags, it seems they'll flowered when they want to. One thing though: they take a while to take off but once the leaves get larger they grow faster and faster.

Thanks for the info :wink:

I'm really interested in growing either PK's or their hybrids ( as soon as they are available in the EU ). But at least the price toghether with the problems people encounter in PK culture is still preventing me from "investing" any money in them.

I must say I grow only one PK hybrid (Andean Tears) and that I was very lucky to get such a vigorous and easy plant to bloom since Andean Tears seems to be reluctant to bloom .

I must say I grow only one PK hybrid (Andean Tears) and that I was very lucky to get such a vigorous and easy plant to bloom since Andean Tears seems to be reluctant to bloom .

Ok that's a good thing to know as well, but for now I'm still not very worried. Haven't seen a PK hybrid for sale yet in Europe.

Marc,
Elsner orchids have kovachii x besseae for sale. I also watch out for them on ebay. Bought Allison Strohm and kov x schlimii from ebay. The la Vingatine cross from EYOF via Ratcliffes are excellent. Two have been posted here - just search for photos. These hybrids are straighforward on a windowsill,
David

I noticed a curious phenomena with my Cirila Alca. The dorsal sepal folds down over the lip during the day then goes up again when the light goes out. Temperature goes up to 25°C and the humidity is maintained between 50 and 60%. Has anybody seen this on Pk hybrids?

I believe I understand why. Too much light. kovachii hybrids and many phrags prefer more shade. So what I do now is create a natural lighting effect in the plant room. The 1000 W HPS lights up in the morning on the East side along with a 400 Watts MH on the west side of the room. Then at around noon, the 1000W MH takes over on the west side and a 400 W HPS on the east side. Thus most of the day, the plants have 1400W of light, except for a brief period at 2800 W. around noon.
Now the dorsal sepal doesn't fold down anymore. Temperature is cooler and I ease up on the lighting bill. I still need to tweak the lighting period. :D

Marc,
Elsner orchids have kovachii x besseae for sale. I also watch out for them on ebay. Bought Allison Strohm and kov x schlimii from ebay. The la Vingatine cross from EYOF via Ratcliffes are excellent. Two have been posted here - just search for photos. These hybrids are straighforward on a windowsill,
David

Thank you, I'll keep my eye open :D

Marc,
David

One of the Kovachii X besseae from eBay Uk is now mine :evil:

Back