Phrag. Papa Frankie Quintal (Haley Decker x kovachii)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert, I have some (5+?) seedlings of this cross, but they have been poor growers. any cultural advices?
B

Robert, I have some (5+?) seedlings of this cross, but they have been poor growers. any cultural advices?
B

We grow our kovachii or kovachii crosses in straight dolomite and have them sit in saucers with water, or in an eb and flow system. The kovachii crosses can also be grown in in orchiata mix, mixed with growstone or some perlite, but keep them pretty moist and make sure the mix doesn't get to acidic (they prefer it neutral to somewhat alkaline).

Hope this helps.
Robert

FYI, the Piping Rock website has these for $159.95 NBS, no discounts.

Mike

Yeah, they are pricey. I have some Pk hybrids but I will wait some until the price goes down a bit or buy one at a time slowly as my bank will allow. :) Also, everyone is ranting about the shape of the gen 2 Pk hybrids but I miss the huge pumpkin size blooms of the gen 1 hybrids!
BTW, when the first generation of Pk hybrids come out I had a Pk x Sunset Glow. I lost the plant and never saw another. Does anyone have or know what happened to this hybrid? :confused:

Yeah, they are pricey. I have some Pk hybrids but I will wait some until the price goes down a bit or buy one at a time slowly as my bank will allow. :) Also, everyone is ranting about the shape of the gen 2 Pk hybrids but I miss the huge pumpkin size blooms of the gen 1 hybrids!
BTW, when the first generation of Pk hybrids come out I had a Pk x Sunset Glow. I lost the plant and never saw another. Does anyone have or know what happened to this hybrid? :confused:

Don't worry, when I cross generation 2 PK hybrids back to PK to get 3rd generation PK hybrids, the huge Pumpking size will return :) I already crossed Phrag. Robert-Jan Quene back onto Phrag. kovachii and it took! It will be very similar to Phrag. Fritz Schomburg, but probably have more kovachii influence. I also crossed that dark Phrag. Emma Lommen back onto kovachii, which will hopefully create some purples, be larger in size than Emma Lommen, and rounder and better shaped than kovachii.

And to answer your other question, I believe we still have some Sunset Glow's x kovachii, but no one has registered that cross yet, so I don't think anyone has bloomed it yet.

Robert

Don't worry, when I cross generation 2 PK hybrids back to PK to get 3rd generation PK hybrids, the huge Pumpking size will return ..And to answer your other question, I believe we still have some Sunset Glow's x kovachii, but no one has registered that cross yet, so I don't think anyone has bloomed it yet.
Robert

Thanks for the info. :) When I finally get to visit OL there's going to be a FIESTA!!!

Yeah kovachii! Besseae too ;)

tyler

Lawsuit buddy!! :poke:

We grow our kovachii or kovachii crosses in straight dolomite and have them sit in saucers with water, or in an eb and flow system. The kovachii crosses can also be grown in in orchiata mix, mixed with growstone or some perlite, but keep them pretty moist and make sure the mix doesn't get to acidic (they prefer it neutral to somewhat alkaline).

Hope this helps.
Robert

Thanks a lot Robert; when you say dolomite, that means dolomite (ie the mineral, the double-carbonate?) gravel? I have personally been growing kovachii and hybrids in mainly marble gravel, but if dolomite gravel is better then I'll repot into that. Any wiews to that?
Another thing; I have a few Rosalie dixler x kovachii that have been growing well and are getting NBS now. Any idea of what to expect?
Bjørn

Thanks a lot Robert; when you say dolomite, that means dolomite (ie the mineral, the double-carbonate?) gravel? I have personally been growing kovachii and hybrids in mainly marble gravel, but if dolomite gravel is better then I'll repot into that. Any wiews to that?
Another thing; I have a few Rosalie dixler x kovachii that have been growing well and are getting NBS now. Any idea of what to expect?
Bjørn

Sorry I said dolomite, but I meant Diatomite gravel.

Rosalie Dixler x kovachii should be very similar to Phrag. La Vingtaine (M.D. Clements x kovachii)...just noticed that Eric already mentioned that :)

Here is some more info for kovachii and kovachii hybrid culture:
(Click on Care Information):
https://www.orchidweb.com/products/phrag-kovachii~836.html

Robert

Latest posts

Back