Phrag. Papa Frankie Quintal (Haley Decker x kovachii)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Phrag. Papa Frankie Quintal is the first kovachii hybrid backcrossed to kovachii. It was originally registered by Quintal Farms. This plant came from Glen Decker. On a different post people were commenting that they were disappointed with all the kovachii hybrids that were out there. I disagree, this is one that proves that there are some interesting possibilities with using kovachii as a parent! I think the best hybrids will be the backcrosses to either kovachii or to the other parents (like Phrag. Robert-Jan Quene = Phrag. Fritz Schomburg x besseae). The same thing happened with besseae crosses. To date the best besseae crosses are 2nd generation crosses (think of Phrag. Jason Fischer, and Phrag. Don Wimber).

Picture showing the pouch in more detail, notice the heavy kovachii influence.

plant:

Flower next to a kovachii flower. Still not as big as a pure kovachii, but remember this is a first bloom seedling, so the flower will get larger as the plant matures.

Robert

I agree that the Pk back-crosses should be better than the primaries in general. So far, the Pk primaries and complexes showing the best shapes and colors seem to have micropetallum species in the background re: Fritz Schomburg/Graeme Jones/Haley Decker/ etc. The ones without the micropetallum influence don't appear to have as pleasing a shape.

Staying warm is not so easy around here. They're forecasting below zero temps at night in Naperville and probably worse at Robert's greenhouse in Minnesota. Glad my commute's gone from 20 miles each way to 60 feet each way....Can't wait to see the next heating bill!

Staying warm is not so easy around here. They're forecasting below zero temps at night in Naperville and probably worse at Robert's greenhouse in Minnesota. Glad my commute's gone from 20 miles each way to 60 feet each way....Can't wait to see the next heating bill!

lol, it is a balmy -2 F (-20 C) outside at the moment, much warmer than it was a few days ago at -13 F (-25 C)...

Robert

Now that's what we're talkin about!!!:clap:

Love the influence on the pouch, the petals and the color. NEED TO BUY ONE!!

you should see some of the 'select' ones at Kai's (Quintal) place. I'll be there in a month, and will post some pictures...

Latest posts

Back