Phrag moving to S/H? When?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Phyrex

When is the best time to move a phrag from sphag to S/H . I know we usually wait for new roots but it's already kinda growing S/H anyway since it sits in a tray of water...

I always move them into S/H medium as soon as I get them but I guess technically you are supposed to wait for new growth. Phrags tend to be growing most of the year though.

e-spice

It's root system is fine and has a growth of about 2" and a new one starting that's not much bigger than a pin-head.

Sort-out, sieve, or get the smallest size media and pot it up then. Make sure you have holes for the water to run out and take care to rinse regularly w/ pure water. I find the most problems with s/h to be from salt build up.

While I love what S/H has done to this paph I'm worried about this fuzzy stuff appearing all the time. Any suggestions?? I'm re-potting it about every 2 to 3 weeks so I can rinse the pebbles but It's probably not too good for the plant as its roots get disturbed all the time?

Attachments

• 2008060085A.JPG
    2008060085A.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 21
Looks like mold? You can prevent it by increasing the airflow around the plant. I don't think it's a good idea to repot the orchid every 2-3 weeks. :poke:

Ack. Yes, that's a mold of some kind. A physan flush should help. Though I'm not a fan of physan in general. I only use it rarely.

Latest posts

Back