Phrag Lovely Lynne 4n x sib blooming thread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the first of about 25 sibs has started to bloom. At least a dozen have sheaths or buds. I’ll post the rest in this thread.
Not a bad start for this group of plants, considering that this is a seedling’s first bloom. It’s about 10.5 cm across and there are no real defects or teeth. The growth is about 38cm across but it’s not one of the plants with wide leaves. It’s more typical of diploid plants. Whether there is some variation in ploidy within these seedlings I do not know.
Fingers crossed for the rest and maybe some variation in flower colour.
IMG_1394.jpegIMG_1392.jpeg
the plants are growing ridiculously quickly in the current set up. I’ll leave them there for as long as possible,
David

Another couple have bloomed…
the first one is on a smallish growth so no surprises that it’s a very average bloom, however the second one shows the potential of this cross. I’m super happy with it.
This is the first bloom on a single growth about 14 inches across. The colour is not quite so red as shown, the iPad seems to over saturate reds.
The flower is 10cm across and may grow a bit, this is the first day of being fully open. It’s even got a fine dorsal for a kovachii cross.
The sheath half way down the stem shows signs of a second bud so this plant may well branch on a larger plant.
IMG_1406.jpegIMG_1405.jpegIMG_1409.jpeg
David

Another couple have bloomed…
the first one is on a smallish growth so no surprises that it’s a very average bloom, however the second one shows the potential of this cross. I’m super happy with it.
This is the first bloom on a single growth about 14 inches across. The colour is not quite so red as shown, the iPad seems to over saturate reds.
The flower is 10cm across and may grow a bit, this is the first day of being fully open. It’s even got a fine dorsal for a kovachii cross.
The sheath half way down the stem shows signs of a second bud so this plant may well branch on a larger plant.
View attachment 43297View attachment 43298View attachment 43299
David
No surprise there is a significant variation in the flowers. I think you will be saving ones like the last one above and probably not keeping the first. I don't think even a second and third flowering of the first one above will get you the shape and color you are looking for. If you can just get the round, red one to get to 11-12 cm you will be there!

So the good one has now settled down and finished expanding.
The natural spread is 11cm and the petal width is a shade under 5cm. Not bad for a first bloom on a single growth seedling.
Again the colour isn’t quite right. It has a bit more purple tones to it in real life.
View attachment 43314View attachment 43315
It has great configuration and I hope it stays flat. Easy to imagine it getting to 12+ cm width with more maturity. The size comes from the kovachii which has to bring some of its purple in there. We may not be able to get big size AND true red. The 25% dalessandroi in there seems mostly suppressed!

Terry, we can always hope! There is enough variation in the three flowers I‘ve seen so far for a more red or orange bloom to be a possibility.
Plus, these are supposed to be all tetraploids and so, theoretically, fertile. So maybe if not in this generation, maybe the next?
The flower has, for me, almost perfect conformation so who knows where we will be by the third cycle of blooming?

I know, I know, a third photo but this shows the true colour of the bloom much better than the previous two. Not quite so red.
It’s still growing with a natural spread now of about 11.3cm plus it’s staying as flat as can be. The second photo shows the siblings loving their home in the plant tray. The rate of growth in the last four months has been amazing. Four more siblings are in advanced spike.
IMG_1432.jpegIMG_1434.jpeg

I know, I know, a third photo but this shows the true colour of the bloom much better than the previous two. Not quite so red.
It’s still growing with a natural spread now of about 11.3cm plus it’s staying as flat as can be. The second photo shows the siblings loving their home in the plant tray. The rate of growth in the last four months has been amazing. Four more siblings are in advanced spike.
View attachment 43338View attachment 43339
It looks so good. Congrats.. I’ll be chasing this dragon for some time I expect, can’t source these in the states.

Pete,
you ought to get in touch with Mike Tibbs at the Exotic plant company.
Nobody I know is selling this cross in the USA at present but maybe a flask or two made it over there?
David

Last edited:
David, when you first posted about Lovely Lynne, it was a single plant that was not from this group of seedlings, is that correct? Lovely Lynne wasn't registered by Michael Tibbs until 2020 so I am thinking you got your first plant before registration? Were you told that original plant was tetraploid or is it only this group of seedlings that was noted as tetraploid?

I suspect that there was chemical conversion in there somewhere to get the tetraploidy but I am not sure at what stage.

Latest posts

Back