Phrag. kovachii 'Tesoro Morado'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert,

You mentioned in a previous post that the flower was self-pollinated. I'm hoping that it "took" and that a seed pod is developing. And were you able to make some hybrid crosses with it? Please let us know.

Best Regards,
Nik

Yes, it looks like she is "pregnant"; the seedpod is starting to swell. And yes, we were able to use some of her (in this case "his") pollen and make a bunch of crosses.

Robert

She (or He) was absolutely beautiful! I really enjoyed the progression. Hoping that some more kovachii's bloom out this year (and not blast)!!!

David

Cool, if there is viable seed then that would indicate that they don't have or need a specific pollinator in the wild.

This makes me wonder how many of the hybrid crosses made in Peru using kovachii as the pod parent may have some pure kovachii progeny. If they did not remove the pollen quickly they would also have had some self pollination.
Have any of the hybrid seedlings that have bloomed looked like they were 100% kovachii?

I assume once some pollen grains have grown tubes and fertilized there is a period where other pollen grains could also be added to the mix. Or does once pollination begin the window of fertility close quickly?

Cool, if there is viable seed then that would indicate that they don't have or need a specific pollinator in the wild.

This makes me wonder how many of the hybrid crosses made in Peru using kovachii as the pod parent may have some pure kovachii progeny. If they did not remove the pollen quickly they would also have had some self pollination.
Have any of the hybrid seedlings that have bloomed looked like they were 100% kovachii?

I assume once some pollen grains have grown tubes and fertilized there is a period where other pollen grains could also be added to the mix. Or does once pollination begin the window of fertility close quickly?

Thus far all hybrids have not shown any pure kovachii seedlings (so no evidence of self-pollination).

Kyle mentioned that when he saw kovachii in the wild, he did not see any evidence of self-pollination, so this plant may be an exception. We will know more when we bloom more of them in cultivation. Phrag. fischeri, Phrag. boisierieanum and Phrag. lindenii are all self-pollinators as well.

Robert

Thus far all hybrids have not shown any pure kovachii seedlings (so no evidence of self-pollination).

Kyle mentioned that when he saw kovachii in the wild, he did not see any evidence of self-pollination, so this plant may be an exception. We will know more when we bloom more of them in cultivation. Phrag. fischeri, Phrag. boisierieanum and Phrag. lindenii are all self-pollinators as well.

Robert

Then a question for Kyle is did he see any evidence of pollination at all? Any seed pods?

However because you don't see seed pods in the wild is not evidence that they are not self pollinators. In the tropical forests there are so many possible pollen predators that could eat the pollen as soon as the bud cracks open. Like ants!

Since you see the self pollination in actuality I would tend to think they are self pollinators.

I did see one split seed capsule. Not sure if it was pollenated or just an old spike. The only other evidence of pollenation was the amount of young seedlings (lots or 'em).

When you see boisarianum or lindenii in the wild, every flower is self pollenated. So, you'll see boisarianums with 8 or 10 seed capsules on a spike. And a whole hillside like that. I never saw that at kovachii sites. I think OL plant is an exception rather then a rule.

I was at a botanical garden in Hanover Germany and they had a peruvian besseae in thier collection. It self pollenated. I have a picture somewhere of the spike with 4 or 6 capsules. So there are exceptions in nature.

andreettea appears to self pollenate, as well.

Kyle

I did see one split seed capsule. Not sure if it was pollenated or just an old spike. The only other evidence of pollenation was the amount of young seedlings (lots or 'em).

When you see boisarianum or lindenii in the wild, every flower is self pollenated. So, you'll see boisarianums with 8 or 10 seed capsules on a spike. And a whole hillside like that. I never saw that at kovachii sites. I think OL plant is an exception rather then a rule.

I was at a botanical garden in Hanover Germany and they had a peruvian besseae in thier collection. It self pollenated. I have a picture somewhere of the spike with 4 or 6 capsules. So there are exceptions in nature.

andreettea appears to self pollenate, as well.

Kyle
Thanx for the info.

The color is glorious and the texture as well, but something about that
dorsal just knocks the whole bloom out of balance to me. Can't wait to
see more the the seedlings.

Latest posts

Back