Phrag. kovachii 'Tesoro Morado'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

We finally named our kovachii: 'Tesoro Morado' which is Spanish for Purple Treasure.

The flower has been open for 15 days now, but I think its days are numbered. Amazingly it has kept it's shape pretty well. Here is a synopsis of the progression of the flowers:

2/10/2010
Phragkovachiibud2102010-1.jpg

2/17/2010
Phragkovachii-budside-2172010-1.jpg

2/20/2010
Phragkovachii-bud-2202010-1.jpg

2/22/2010
Phragkovachii-side-2222010.jpg

Phragkovachii-front-2222010-1.jpg

2/23/2010
Phragkovachii-flower-2232010.jpg

2/25/2010
Phragkovachii2252010-1.jpg

3/1/2010
Phragkovachii-small-312010-1.jpg

3/8/2010
Phragkovachii382010.jpg

4view382010.jpg

Here is a clip on You Tube, that we shot of this plant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdN1HNS_A48
Robert

Simply delicious!!!! Thanks again Robert!!! Interesting to see once more that the slipper (or orchids in general) blooms show their best just after 2-3 days open!!! Jean

Why s the dorsal shriveling? Other than that, it's a beautiful flower.

Why s the dorsal shriveling? Other than that, it's a beautiful flower.

Because it is at it's end of its bloom time. Also it did not help that it has been pollinated, so the flower is starting to shrivel up.

Robert

Did you only get one bloom on the spike?? What's average flower count on the spike??

Yes, this plant had only one bloom. I have seen pictures of Phrag. kovachii's with up to 3 to 4 flowers per spike, and I have heard that they will bloom sequential (so only one to two flowers will be open at the same time).

Robert

it's a simply gorgeous flower! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pouch, the deep color and the velvety texture is just amazing! :drool:

What a beauty and what a flower size!! :drool::drool::drool:
I'm wondering more and more how could orchid hunters miss such an extraordinary and showy orchid for ages??
I'm looking forward to seeing it in person in near future.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

I have some sad news to post :sob:

This morning after 21 days the kovachii flower finally fell off. This morning, she was laying on the bench. In the last week she did not change much in shape, just the texture became more "papery".

We will miss her much, but she will hopefully bloom again next year, and luckily 2 of her siblings are in spike, so they should bloom shortly.

Robert

Robert,

You mentioned in a previous post that the flower was self-pollinated. I'm hoping that it "took" and that a seed pod is developing. And were you able to make some hybrid crosses with it? Please let us know.

Best Regards,
Nik

Latest posts

Back