Phrag. Frank Smith

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks awesome - that’s a terrific-looking flower of yours, too! Gotta love the rich pink of Pete’s plant, but what’s not to love about the bright besseae color you have there.

Well, after conferring with Bill G, I have learned my “Frank Smith” is a China Dragon. Thank you all, especially Eric, for helping me see what was right in front of my face. Kate
BTW, in ALL of my dealings with Bill, he has been a stand up guy and I love growing his Phrags. (and Paphs.). I am always excited to receive his updated lists and opening a box from Woodstream is like Christmas morning for me!

Pete, stunning flowers! I love the rich pink and the spotting. It looks very much like my America. What are the dimensions of the flowers? Eric, I agree with KateL. It sure doesn't look like any Frank Smith that I have ever seen. It does look more like Filquet.
Thanks, Sorry for the late reply.. everything has been crazy lately with the new world we live in.
You know I often wondered the same exact thing, I have not measured the flowers myself.. I too have a phrag America, and for the life of me I can't tell the difference between America and Frank Smith. Now it's possible that tags go mixed up, but even in Orchid Whiz.. the images all look very similar. I'm attaching pictures of my Phrag America 'Purple Mountain Majesty' for comparison. If you have a picture of your America that you can post on this thread, I would love to make a comparison.
Below are images of the same plant Phrag. America (Les Dirouillis 'Crystelle' AM / AOS x kovachii) 'Purple Mountain Majesty' AM/AOS

... First bloom from 2012, and the latest awarded bloom in 2017.

Phrag_America_04_17_12.jpg Phrag_America_07_07_18.jpg

Latest posts

Back