Phrag. ecuadorense 'Birchwood' HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The size is too big and the color kind of brown for ecuadorense..

Ok Eric. The flower and plant size is very small which you can't judge on a closeup with nothing else for reference:poke: This the darkest it has bloomed and it is no doubt due to the long period of cool temperatures during bud development. Rick (Slipperking) has a division of my plant and see his post when it bloomed during the warm months. It is a good bit lighter.
Here is Slipperking's post from last year:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35237&highlight=ecuadorense+birchwood

Eron, I remember a picture I think from you? of pearcei, pearcei var ecuadorense and Richteri side by side... am I right? I was trying to find it but I was unable.

Eron, I remember a picture I think from you? of pearcei, pearcei var ecuadorense and Richteri side by side... am I right? I was trying to find it but I was unable.

Hi Eliseo, Here is the link to the post with the pictures of the three side by side:
(note these were blooming during one of the hottest months of the year here.)
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34508&highlight=ecuadorense

(This Phrag. ecuadorense 'Birchwood' is not the one pictured.)

Here is a warmer temperature bloom of the same plant which is still in bloom. As you can see, it is the typical green. It is indeed interesting how much darker it was back in January/February. This flower has been open a while so the petals have fallen a bit in comparison to the earlier picture.

WOW! That does not look like it could be the same plant. I'm not doubting you; I'm just astounded by the difference temperature (and maybe day length) really has on Phrags. WOW! The winter petals don't even have the corkscrew shape!

WOW! That does not look like it could be the same plant. I'm not doubting you; I'm just astounded by the difference temperature (and maybe day length) really has on Phrags. WOW! The winter petals don't even have the corkscrew shape!

I completely agree and am amazed as well! This is an older flower which just dropped whereas the February picture must have been a freshly open flower.
Another very interesting point is I repotted this plant Feb.22, about a month after I took the earlier posted pictures. The previous mix was over two years old and stale and this is blooming now with buds that developed with fresh mix. I wonder if that may also be a factor besides temperature and light? Surely the mix is not as acidic now.
Our winter was constantly overcast, rainy, and very cold this year. I wish I had pictures of it from last year to compare but didn't take any.
Looking back at Rick's(SlipperKing) division of my plant that bloomed for him back in October, his plant's petals are also not as corkscrewed as this most recent flower, however the color is more like it.

Latest posts

Back