Phrag Don Wimber

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, for being a runt and that's the only reason I got it, other wise I wouldn't have been around it out of the collection

I fully agree that is an EYOF plant, without a doubt. I have struggled with rhizoctonia too. The biggest problem (in my experience) is the use of rockwool, because with rockwool you only should water every few days or so, yes? And the EYOF are the main people putting phrags into rockwool over here, and promoting that approach. They have access to fungicides, clearly..! But if you have the phrags in a medium such as good bark and a bit of chalky stone, then the phrags love being watered every day. And if you have cool water (I forget the critical temp) then that keeps the fungus away. Jerry Fischer explained this to me years ago. After nearly 20 years of growing phrags in the UK, my view is that the prevalence of that fungus is down to rockwool, ironically as promoted by the EYOF..! And of course the phrags don't like being changed from rockwool to bark, you'll lose a year or two of growth in making the potting change. But that seems better to me that losing the whole plant.

the outstanding feature of this flower , other than what other peoples already pointed out, is that it has no teeth around the edge of the petals (a detracting look which a lot of phrag flowers have)

I fully agree that is an EYOF plant, without a doubt. I have struggled with rhizoctonia too. The biggest problem (in my experience) is the use of rockwool, because with rockwool you only should water every few days or so, yes? And the EYOF are the main people putting phrags into rockwool over here, and promoting that approach. They have access to fungicides, clearly..! But if you have the phrags in a medium such as good bark and a bit of chalky stone, then the phrags love being watered every day. And if you have cool water (I forget the critical temp) then that keeps the fungus away. Jerry Fischer explained this to me years ago. After nearly 20 years of growing phrags in the UK, my view is that the prevalence of that fungus is down to rockwool, ironically as promoted by the EYOF..! And of course the phrags don't like being changed from rockwool to bark, you'll lose a year or two of growth in making the potting change. But that seems better to me that losing the whole plant.

I have irradicated the fungus now, thankfully nearly all my Phrags have come from the EYOF or a few english nurseries. I have always grown in Rockwool as all my plants have always been brought in rockwool.
The plants that I had that had rhizoctonia all came from a privet collection where anymore of chemicals are banded, so they have no choice but to put up with the problem.
Even when I worked for the RHS it was rockwool for phrags.
I must admit I only water my phrags once a week and have them sitting in water these days on gravel trays.
As a few of my large Phrags that ya have come from EYOF and haven't come from other nurseries are clean, it was just those plants from that provet collection.

I now have loag of fungicied that I dont know when i will use up :rollhappy:

I have irradicated the fungus now, thankfully nearly all my Phrags have come from the EYOF or a few english nurseries. I have always grown in Rockwool as all my plants have always been brought in rockwool.
The plants that I had that had rhizoctonia all came from a privet collection where anymore of chemicals are banded, so they have no choice but to put up with the problem.
Even when I worked for the RHS it was rockwool for phrags.
I must admit I only water my phrags once a week and have them sitting in water these days on gravel trays.
As a few of my large Phrags that ya have come from EYOF and haven't come from other nurseries are clean, it was just those plants from that provet collection.

I now have loag of fungicied that I dont know when i will use up :rollhappy:
What was the name of the fungicide that worked?

Back