Phrag. Cape May County 'Pizazz' x klotzscheanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Phrag. Cape May County 'Pizazz' x klotzscheanum

This is a pretty complex Phrag hybrid, which I find interesting.

Cape May County = Lynn Evans-Goldner x besseae
Lynn Evans-Goldner = Barbara LeAnn x schlimii
Barbara LeAnn = besseae x fischeri

This plant is a fairly small grower. At about 11.5 inches (29 cm?) tall in spike, it fits comfortably under my lights. The leaves are slender and grassy, and when outstretched are about 16 inches long. It has inherited a rhizomatous growth habit, though not quite as pronounced as the klotzscheanum parent. Also interesting to note is that the spike is relatively short, and the first bud is just barely peeking above it. Overall, the growths on this plant are quite a bit bigger than those of my P. Will Chantry.

I care for this like all my other water loving phrags. Nothing special. Just keep the water flowing, add a bit of fertilizer now and then and it seems to stay happy.

The flowers are a little different than other photos I've seen on here and elsewhere, but well within my expectations. There's a little less pink than I thought, and the contrast between the petals and lip is more pronounced than I assumed it would be. The only completely unexpected aspect of the flowers is that they are smaller than I thought they'd be. Maybe it's just a fluke and next time they will be larger, but currently they are closer to P. schlimii sized -- easily half the size of Will Chantry.

qSym43nl.jpg

el2tmjSl.jpg

vRjz35hl.jpg

MWVRvPDl.jpg

IqaYmhcl.jpg

yONWiSCl.jpg

Paph. delenatii for scale.

Haha! I have added at least 15 more Phrags to my collection since last time I did an inventory. It would be wild luck to find anything in that mess!

Latest posts

Back