Phrag besseae in situ photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all

Specialy I would like to see besseae and dalessandroi in situ.

Do they have a peak flowering period ?

It would be alot more fun if they are in flower :)

kind regards
Lars

Besseae is easy to see in situ, dalessandroi is harder. I have not seen dalessandroi. Contact Ecuagenera, they can arrange a tour for you. 1 day, one week, one month. What ever you want.

I am curious to know how big the clumps get in the wild. It appeared that the plants photographed were 2-3 clump plants. How old is the avarage plant in the wild, are they short lived, or do they get to be large healthy clumps that are several years old. Does anybody know?

Hi Kyle

I have a an arrangement with Mundiflora.... dalessandroi grow practicaly in their backyard.

They are the ones I bought dalessandroi from.

I have planed for one week in a 4 wheel drive with them.... Ecuador is not very big :):)
best
Lars

Hi

I plan to go in aughtum.... late october I hope.

Will that be a good time to see them flower in the wild ?

:)
Lars

I think I was told that that's the worst time to go.

Just kidding! :poke: I heard February and October are the best times to go; not too rainy and lots in bloom. Maybe we'll meet there.

Actually, If you're interested in seeing Phrag. besseae in bloom in Ecuador, autumn or spring are the times to go (see photo). Our trips to besseae habitat, are scheduled for either early May or early November. Also would recommend contacting Ecuagenera for a tour; it's the best way to go, and the guides are very helpful - especially if you've never gone before and the tours are (relatively) reasonably priced.

Thanks, Tom

Last edited:
Hi Tom

You recomend Eucagenera... what can they offer, and what is their price ?

:)
Lars

No leeches or mosquitos at this elevation (Thank God!). The cool and wet conditions that are typical of P. besseae habitat during rainy season, along with the vigorous air movement, dictated my clothing selection for that day.(See photo of P. d'alessandroi in situ). The vest was a definite requirement because of the need for extra pockets to carry a thermometer, conductivity meter, pH meter,camera, compact binoculars, energy bars, etc. As far as arranging a tour with Ecuagenera, you can contact the owner, Pepe Portilla, at: [email protected], for prices and availability.

Thanks, Tom

Last edited:
Hi Tom

I will contact them, and compare with the other offer I got :)´

How about the readings from all your instruments..... can we have them ?

kind regards from Denmark..... where the sun is finaly returning after a long winter :clap:

Lars

Hey Eric,

As far as I know, collection of any wild orchids in Ecuador is not allowed; especially CITES 1 material (I.E. Phrags.) It's a "look but don't touch" scenario when you're out in the habitat, and illegal collection carries with it the risk of serious penalties. Kyle has a lot of experience working and exploring in Ecuador, so maybe he can enlighten us further.

Ecuagenera has fairly extensive greenhouses in Gualaceo and El Pangui, and it should be possible to select plants (including CITES 1 material) for later shipment, but not to hand-carry back. The reason for this is that Ecuagenera has to get CITES export permits and phytosanitary certificates before the plants can leave Ecuador, and this can take 6 weeks. What normally happens is Ecuagenera will bring the plants you've selected with them to one of the many U.S. shows they attend and deliver them either in person, or ship them on to a U.S. address from the show location.

Thanks, Tom

Latest posts

Back