Phrag besseae in situ photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle

Reaction score
As promised, here are pictures of two different besseae sites I have been to in Ecuador. the first one is the Paute site. The Paute River runs through Ecuador, these plants are found on the hill/cliffs about the river. These pictures were taken about a month ago.

DSC01104.jpg

DSC01116.jpg

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

These pictures were taken at the Chigllinda site (pronounced Chew-in-da). This site is quite different from the Paute site. It is much wetter and not as overgrown. Water is dripping constantly from the cliffs. Very wet. These pictures were taken one year ago.

PICT0628.jpg

Phragbesseaeinsitu4.jpg

Phragbesseaeinsitu1.jpg

PICT0599.jpg

The shape of the flowers are a bit different, with the paute plants having better shape.

These final two pictures show that in the wild, you can find plants that arn't stoloniferous. This plants has two growths and there is no stolon.

PICT0605.jpg

PICT0606.jpg

Tom Kalina believes that in this population there has been some natural hybridizing with dalessandroi. I have not been back to the site since him and I discussed the possibility, so I can't say for sure.

Kyle

This picture shows how close to the road the sites are.

PICT0621.jpg

Kyle

Kyle,

Great pictures! The plants from Chigllinda site look as if they are more of a Phrag. dalessandroi then a Phrag. besseae... I may agree with Kalina, it's a possibility that those plants at the Chigllinda site are Phrag. besseae x Phrag. dalessandroi...

The last picture is too early to tell if it is stoloniferous or not... the growth is not developed enough... if it's from the Chigllinda site, possibility is Kalina's idea... that really red, immediately ascending staminodial shield and slightly rounded petal tips are quite typical for Phrag. dalessandroi...

Thanks for sharing the photos!

-Pat

Very cool shots.
You can see why these guys would like to climb out of a pot, and crawl up the ciff.

Are there any other red blooming species nearby for besseae to con pollinators from.

Dear Kyle,
great pictures.
It is really time to visit Ecuador

Best greetings

Olaf

Hi all

I am planing a trip to Ecuador. Mainly to visit "our daughter" in the SOS childrens village in Ricaurte.

But when we are there, we also want to look around.

Specialy I would like to see besseae and dalessandroi in situ.

Do they have a peak flowering period ?

It would be alot more fun if they are in flower :)

kind regards
Lars

Latest posts

Back