Phrag besseae in situ photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless the rules have changed it is not legal to import any wild collected plant into the USA. Not just orchids of CITES plants but any wild plant. Plants must be nursery grown and not old.
Has this rule changed?

Hi

Wild collected is a no go.

But both Eucagenera and Mundiflora goes to Europe, and I presume to the US also, several times a year to orchidshows.

I have preordered plants from them a couple of times, and it works fine.
They do all the paperwork with Cites and health certificates.

Next time they are in France, they will send me a besseae, and a dalessandroi.

I guess when I go and visit them, I will select and pay some plants, an then next time they go to Europe they will bring and send them.

:)
Lars

Unless the rules have changed it is not legal to import any wild collected plant into the USA. Not just orchids of CITES plants but any wild plant. Plants must be nursery grown and not old.
Has this rule changed?

are you confusing importing wild collected plants vs importing a plant in soil? it is not permitted to bring in a plant in soil but i'm pretty sure it is and always has been permitted to bring in wild collected plants when the appropriate paperwork is present.
then again, i could be mistaken.

I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that it is next to impossible to export a wild collected appendix I plant. Only artificially propagated plants. However, division is considered artificial propagation. Still, Ecuagenera have plenty of lab propagated phrags, there is no need to worry about wild plants. Plus they will not tolerate wild collecting.

It may be possible to exprt some wild plant species. I've heard of collecting trips for gesnariads and anthiriums. Both of those plant groups reproduce faster than orchids. Anthriums are collected as cuttings.

About going to Ecuador and leaving with you plants, its possible. If you stay long enough. It takes a few weeks to get the right permits. Again the CITES is the problem. The phyto permit takes a couple of hours, but the CITES takes a few weeks. If you visit the nursery and pick your plants then explore the country for a few weeks, you can leave with your plants. Otherwise, Ecuagenera can mail them when they do a show in your country.

If you do select plants in the nursery to be mailed at a later date. Write your name on a new leaf in giant letters. This will make sure you end up with the exact plant you selected. Its a big nursery with lots of people working, so mixups happen. Also it may be a couple of months until you get your plants, so they may not be exactly as you remember them, so your name on the leaf will prove its the plant you selected. Doesn't look to good, but provides peace of mind.

To my knowledge, mundiflora has never been to the USA. I don't know if any of them have entrance visas. Mario did, but he may not have the time to do shows. Also, mundiflora may not have english speaking guides, however the guides they do provide have an excellent knowledge of the country and orchid species. You'll see lots of plants with both companies. You can't go wrong.

Kyle

are you confusing importing wild collected plants vs importing a plant in soil? it is not permitted to bring in a plant in soil but i'm pretty sure it is and always has been permitted to bring in wild collected plants when the appropriate paperwork is present.
then again, i could be mistaken.

No I'm not confusing the soil issue. For some reason I had it in my head that somewhere in the regulations it stated that plants entering the USA had to be nursery grown and not wild collected. I just reread some of the rules and perhaps I was thinking of the "Size and Age" restrictions. By following those rules it would be difficult to import wild plants as they would likely not comply with the age requirements for most plants which are:

• 2 years old if grown from seeds or
cutting
• 1 year old if produced by layering
• 2 years old if produced by budding or
grafting

On the flip side I doubt that any country would issue Phytosanitary cert on wild collected plants. I know Peru does not. Even if they did the USDA would likely find some fungi spore or some reason to deny the shipment for sanitary reasons.
I think I will call APHIS and find out for sure if wild plants are allowed entry.

Latest posts

Back