Phrag. besseae fma flavum 'Fox Croft #1'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well really I don't expect that pure flavum breeding should be any further than it is by that timeline. I was more asking if anyone has taken these great formed red ones x a flavum, then sib the progeny to short cut to a better formed flavum. If not, why not?

This one has alot better shape than most flavums. Hopefully one day I can get my hands on a quality flavum. Has anyone recently been working on breeding reg color besseae with flavums and then sibing them to improve the shape of the flavums. I am currently in the process. Its going to be a while. But we have come so far in the shape of red besseaes and the flavums look so far behind. Seems like a short cut.

Yes, I am working on it too! I am also trying to improve the besseae flavum's by creating tetraploids. Here is a link to a previous post:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24171

Tom, btw that is a nice 2n besseae flavum!

Robert

Yes, I am working on it too! I am also trying to improve the besseae flavum's by creating tetraploids. Here is a link to a previous post:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24171

Tom, btw that is a nice 2n besseae flavum!

Robert

Now that's what I am talking about Robert! That 4n besseae is a big improvement. Unfortunately I have to go the other route by using red besseae with good shape because I do not have access to the materials to make 4Ns. Speaking of does anyone know of a lab that will treat protocorms in flask to try to make them 4N? Or Robert, will orchiss limited do the work? You can PM me about it if you would like. I am not sure if you provide any lab work*outside of the business.

All of my flower photos are taken in natural light, so the color is very close to the actual color. Some of our clones are lighter in color, and show more of a greenish cast; I've attached a photo of the original 'Fox Valley Gold' HCC/AOS clone alongside our 'Green Gold' clone as an example.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Both are really nice flavums Tom. I really like the color of the green gold one even though its smaller. Is the Fox Valley Gold a 4n? Do you have any flavums for sale or in the future?

Both clones are diploids - the only flavum 4N clone we own is 'Rising Sun' AM/AOS. We don't do much 4N breeding, because when you breed a 4N to a normal 2N clone, you end up with a population of triploids, which are mostly sterile and not useful for breeding. The best possible solution is to do all your breeding using 4N clones, but at the cost of most 4N's you'd better be prepared to mortgage the farm if you want to follow this avenue of approach.

Tom, Thanks for the reply. I also try not to buy or use 4N's. As you stated they are two expensive and I don't like the idea of making 3N's. Before I wanted to breed anything most of the plants I bought were 3N. When I got into breeding I was pretty mad that most of my plants were 3N. Because I don't have a lab I cannot convert them either. I am looking for some more 2N flavums so let me know if you have some for sale. Also, have you bred flavumto reg red besseae, then sibbed them? I am wondering what percentage come out flavum from that second step.

Hi Cheyenne,

We do have 2N besseae flavum divisions listed in our online catalog for $ 75 + shpg. As far as breeding a red w a yellow besseae, then sibbing or selfing the off-spring, we haven't tried it although it should be a way to get a percentage of well-formed yellows. I'm not a great fan of the "toward roundness and fullness" form attribute the AOS likes to apply when using it's point scales. When carried to it's eventual end, it will tend to make things look too similar and we'll lose the charm that makes species so different from one another. I think they should be looking more at size while maintaining the same aspect ratios of the flower segments instead of roundness and fullness - especially in species that are not round and full to begin with.

Latest posts

Back