phal violacea alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my violacea alba from burleigh park in australia grew so large that I couldn't keep the roots happy in the top/middle of the pot, so I split it into three chunks. two of them have flowered a few times but I wasn't around to get pictures and they faded. this plant just opened up a nice forward facing flower so I took some quick pics of it. it has a nice fragrance (especially right now!)

pviolaceaalba710a.JPG

whole (mostly) plant view

pviolaceaalba710b.JPG

closeup

pviolaceaalba710c.JPG

not spectacular side view

this is a very loyally-flowering orchid and I think beside my different phal equestris's, may have the highest total flower count of all of my orchids

btw, I put two of the divisions into the small rockwool cubes thinking that they would like the extra moisture. many of the other plants weren't happy, and I read where the pH can get too high using the cubes and you have to manage the pH with acidic fertilizer. well, I get enough of the messing with fertilizers and chemicals at work and wanted a simpler solution, so I took so straight firbark seedling chunks and top dressed the pots that didn't look so hot with it; most of the plants look like they are improving though I lost a few nice ones like two phal bellinas because of the pH change. ...right when you think the new miracle media comes along to solve all of your problems, you find out that it just creates more new ones! I think using the rockwool in a media blend was probably the way to go instead of trying to use it straight up

nice photography, you really captured the diamond dust of the flowers:clap:

Latest posts

Back