phal equestris albescens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this plant from Oak Hill as phal equestris alba. Though quite pale, it really is an albescens plant that has very faint color. A few years ago about this time of year, it tried to flower itself to death during our Fall Show and Sale (this year on oct. 2-3). The judges almost gave it the best amateur species award except there was a completely amazing phal hieroglyphica that was just flowering all over the place (if I'm remembering my years right) which they gave the award to. About a week after the show the plant started to collapse. I ended up cutting off most of the main growth and slathering it with stoprot gel, which did stop the infection/disease or whatever and another basal shoot eventually came out. This plant is very vigorous, but if I don't keep it properly watered or the air gets dry when the buds are coming out, they will blast. This summer the spike in back blasted but a keiki started growing on it. Later, three spikes came out which are flowering now. Hopefully this will still be in flower for our show, but more hopefully it won't crash after that :(

pequestrisalbs909a.JPG

pequestrisalbs909b.JPG

one flower spike

pequestrisalbs909c.JPG

another flower spike

pequestrisalbs909d.JPG

I've mentioned this before, but I've noticed that it seems like the alba and albescens plants of equestris are often much more vigorous than the pink ones! I had always thought that white plants of normally colored species were usually weaker than their colored counterparts. If anyone could explain that I'd be interested

Last edited:
Petals look like they have been covered in diamond dust. Also, looks like there is still just a slight blush to the petals still. Very nice!!

--Allen--

Very pretty, I've never seen this type of equestris, thanks for sharing it with us!

there is a humidifier in there, but the handle broke off the water tank so is a pain to get back in after being filled, so often runs out for a few days (excuses excuses). the buds blasted last this winter when it was drier with heating, but this spring/summer with the darker, cooler temps (more humid weather) things were more even and the stems/buds didn't have as much problem

the clutter is supposed to be used as potting material! ...though I'm sure your outdoor cyps would be happy to have it as mulch. I have three paphs (armeniacum and micranthum) that have baskets with small limestone gravel, leaf mould and moss in three layers in that order from bottom to top

"Stoprot ~ Bordeaux mixture in lanolin to treat leaves and bulbs suffering from wet rot (pythium). Use with Keikigrow Plus to rescue crown-damaged Phals, repair psuedobulbs."
originally purchased from James Brasch who designed (I think) Keikiroot Plus, Stoprot and Keikigrow. The 'keiki - ' products use hormones to either start a keiki or start roots on a keiki

Latest posts

Back