Phal. Equalacea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvsorchids

Reaction score
This little one was begging to be photographed. She blooms sequentially, so only tends to have 1-2 flowers in good condition at a time. Also wonderfully fragrant with the scent of roses and has been in constant bloom for about a year and a half.

nn5suw.jpg

Susan

Nice -- three flowers at once!

I have a blue one of these. The flower form on mine is a bit different and the scent, to me, smells like sweet carnations and cinnamon...spicy! It's a very vigorous plant!

Thank you all for the kind words :).

Code:
I have a blue one of these. The flower form on mine is a bit different and the scent, to me, smells like sweet carnations and cinnamon...spicy! It's a very vigorous plant!

I have seen photos of the blue ones and they are wonderful. I am somewhat surprised at the rosy fragrance on mine, since violacea does tend to have more of a spice aroma, but I'm not complaining :D. This plant is quite vigorous as well. It was a bonus plant I got with an order and it is definitely worth keeping around.

Susan

I have both violacea and equestris under lights in my apartment, and it's never that warm except for the occasional heat wave during the summer. they both do fine. (and the flowers are larger than equestris)

Agreed!
Are the flowers bigger than equestris? Can they handle intermediate temps, or be better off on the warm side?

Yes, bigger than equestris. I grow intermediate to warm and seems to do fine. I grow in the house and I like it not too hot, but doesn't generally go below 65.

Susan

It is really a wonderful hybrid and normally very variabel. But it is not so easy to make this cross.

Here two other clones which I saw last year

PhalaenopsisEqualaceaStruberStern-equestrisXviolacea2009-07-05.jpg

Phalaenopsis Equalacea 'Struber Stern'
equestris X violacea

PhalaenopsisEqualaceaRotspiel-equestrisXviolacea2009-07-05.jpg

Phalaenopsis Equalacea Rotspiel
equestris X violacea

Both clones are the result of the same cross out of the same seed capsule

Best greetings

Olaf

It's always interesting to see how different the "kids" can be when they are seed-grown. I'd much rather take the chance on a seedling than a cloned plant. Usually, anyway.

Latest posts

Back