Phal. cornu-cervi f. chattaladae 'Monster'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats and a very deserving award.
Just curious to find out the difference between this and the red form.

Congrats and a very deserving award.
Just curious to find out the difference between this and the red form.

The so called "Red form" is given to any almost solid to solid red colored Phal. cornu-cervi. This includes, f. chattaladae, f. saguinea also known as var. rubescens, f. thalebanii (no yellow backgrownd color but just white base color) or just heavily marked Phal. cornu-cervi. Unfortunately, sellers use this generic term to sell their plants. See below some or the forms but I don't have a picture of f. thalebanii but here is a link http://www.orchidspecies.com/orphotdir/phalthalebanii.jpg. I hope this helps.

Ramon:)

Phal. cornu-cervi f. saguinea 'Red Devil' AM
5508787586_9575427efc.jpg

Phal. cornu-cervi almost solid
825484769_db041a8af3.jpg

The so called "Red form" is given to any almost solid to solid red colored Phal. cornu-cervi. This includes, f. chattaladae, f. saguinea also known as var. rubescens, f. thalebanii (no yellow backgrownd color but just white base color) or just heavily marked Phal. cornu-cervi. Unfortunately, sellers use this generic term to sell their plants. See below some or the forms but I don't have a picture of f. thalebanii but here is a link http://www.orchidspecies.com/orphotdir/phalthalebanii.jpg. I hope this helps.

Ramon:)

Thanks Ramon.
One may not get what you have paid if a Red Form is passed on as f. chattaladae.

Worthy Award ... best I've seen

Now its time for insurance. Send a stem to a lab to be cloned. Then self it. Otherwise if it gets diseased or your power goes out during a storm and it could quickly become another of Orchidom's many extinct foot notes.

I'm interested in how it's grown. I have great success with Phals. with the
exception of this one. I'm growing it mounted on cork with NZ sphagnum
padding and it's been hanging on for two years and has done nothing at all...not even dying. The plant has me quite puzzled.

padding and it's been hanging on for two years and has done nothing at all...not even dying. The plant has me quite puzzled.

I grow it under high light as for Cattleya in warm conditions in a pot with mostly lava and some moss.

Paphman910

someone snuck you a plastic plant when you weren't looking :)

I had heard from some, that cornu-cervi could be grown in semi-hydro. I think I tried one which didn't work. They do like to be warm, so being wet and not warm in my conditions was likely the problem. They do better for me when they can get wet, then dry a bit. Again, maybe cooler than others have. I have one that was purchased from orchid art as phal pantherian that ended up being a nice cornu-cervi, that grows along. I had a cornu-cervi from oak hill that was very nice, but the plant looked 'thicker', and hardly would grow for me; it was suggested that it was tetraploid and sometimes I don't have luck with tetraploid plants for whatever reason.... it's failure to move, like your plant, baffled me so it entered an auction. My alba cornu-cervi grows along, flowers more than most of my other phals and certainly the other cornu-cervi(s)

Latest posts

Back