Peoy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubyslippers

Reaction score
I bought a Prince Edward of York and it arrived today. It looks healthy with new growths, but on a couple of leaves it looks like it has rusty spots. What would cause this?

Here are some photos

Attachments

• P1030026 (400x300).jpg
    P1030026 (400x300).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 25
  • P1030025 (300x400).jpg
    P1030025 (300x400).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 24
  • P1030024 (400x300).jpg
    P1030024 (400x300).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 33
I contacted the person who sold it to me and they said it was burn from the spray and the bright sun. Here is a photo of the whole plant
As you can see it is only on the few leaves. I wiped the leaves off and didn't get any color off on the paper towel, so I'm thinking it isn't bugs. But maybe I just can't see anything.

Attachments

• P1030027 (300x225).jpg
    P1030027 (300x225).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Plant looks great! The others can refuse it and return it, I would keep it. I have a rule that any new plant coming into my growing area is treated as if it has bugs and diseases, so I ;
Remove it from its pot, dispose of the pot and potting material
Inspect the plant carefully, clean it and soak it in a mild fungicide
Repot it in a new pot and use the same mix as all my other plants (I don't like a whole lot of different mixes as they all behave differently)
I water the plant well, then place it apart from the rest of my plants so I can keep an eye on it. I make sure it has good air circulation and lower light levels and don't give it too much water for the first couple of weeks.
When I am happy that it is not carrying any unspeakable contagion, I then move it to join general prison population.

The plant looks good apart from the few blemishes shown!

Plant looks great! The others can refuse it and return it, I would keep it. I have a rule that any new plant coming into my growing area is treated as if it has bugs and diseases, so I ;
Remove it from its pot, dispose of the pot and potting material
Inspect the plant carefully, clean it and soak it in a mild fungicide
Repot it in a new pot and use the same mix as all my other plants (I don't like a whole lot of different mixes as they all behave differently)
I water the plant well, then place it apart from the rest of my plants so I can keep an eye on it. I make sure it has good air circulation and lower light levels and don't give it too much water for the first couple of weeks.
When I am happy that it is not carrying any unspeakable contagion, I then move it to join general prison population.

The plant looks good apart from the few blemishes shown!

What fungicide do you use? Can Iuse neem oil?

Great idea Trithor.
Neem oil - a gentle wipe over with a dampened paper towel cant hurt (not sure of its efficacy, though)

That plant will do fine, I think. Just watch it closely for a month or so.

What fungicide do you use? Can Iuse neem oil?

I use Captab ( wetable powder) it has a good residual effect, but does make the plant look a bit ugly until the white marks wash off. Beware though, do not fertilize the plant for the first couple of weeks, as the fertilizer seems to combine with the Captab and the white marks become semipermanent. I have never had much success with neem oil, that is not to say that it does not work though.
When I said that I would treat the plant with a fungicide, does not mean that I think that it is infected, I just make it a rule that all new plants need to be checked and treated before I put them with the others.

Latest posts

Back