What is this and how do i stop it?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I found this first on my paph prince Edward and it spread pretty slowly. However now it is on my paph michael koopowitz. How do I get rid of it and stop it from spreading? Thanks
Also it has a weird smell like fermentation or something that I don't recognize 🤔

20231125_130956.jpg20231125_130942.jpg20231125_130933.jpg

Well normally a soft rot like Erwinia is brown and stinky, kind of like a wet horse or fermenting poop. However, rots in general are NOT slow spreading.
Chances are it is nothing serious. At least I can’t see anything from what you presented here.

Looks like Erwinia infection. Erwinia has a fairly distinctive smell. The fact that you noticed the scent and mentioned it is more evidence of that being the cause.

I do not mess around with this stuff, it can be devastating.

Make sure to wash your hands. Throw away any infected plant material. Do not touch any of your other plants. Avoid all splashing water. You might consider increasing air flow around your plants.

Copper-based treatments and/or physan can help. My go-to Erwinia treatment is agricultural streptomycin.

I've never been able to fully eradicate this stuff from my collection, and it periodically rears its ugly head so now I watch things as closely as possible and take immediate, decisive action when I find it. I've been told that in order to eradicate it entirely, you may have to unpot all plants, soak them in disinfectant, put them in fresh new media, new pots, disinfect the growing area, etc. More work than I've ever been capable of doing. Some also suggest probiotic products, but honestly, that stuff has never been effective for me when it comes to Erwinia.

Looks like Erwinia infection. Erwinia has a fairly distinctive smell. The fact that you noticed the scent and mentioned it is more evidence of that being the cause.

+1 most definitely

i would also add that based on your photo, it appears that the infection has progressed into the rhyzome. see that the edge of the leaf shows the infection... you need to treat the base of the base of the plant.

Last edited:
Erwinia, and my keen nose for it, has made me an excellent pumpkin checker at work in the fall…I’m like the Ratatouille of the store….it is an instantly recognizable and unforgettable odor…sometimes I’ll just get a whif in the air in houseplants too, or around a rack that has just come in, and I’ll be like, better check, something’s got erwinia….

Yep, I would panic, it appears to be a form of Erwinia, it is insidious and devastating. It took me three years and the death of ten thousand dollars of multifloral paphs before getting control. I have not bought a paph since 2020. A half dozen awarded paphs were killed. The lesson I learned is that phragmipedium and complex paphs were able to withstand the onslaught better. I am in Canada so I cannot post what I used in this mortal combat, but roth, sanderianum, PEOY, anitum, all perished.
Bona fortuna.

Attachments

• Erwenia.JPG
    Erwenia.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1
Rot…usually it is an older growth if there is multiple growths in the pot. I have had excellent luck with cutting off the infected growth as low as possible, and cover it with cinnamon. Hopefully you just saved the other growths before it spreads. If a single growth, cover the infected area with cinnamon, increase air circulation. I think the best preventative is move more air. Strong air circulation!

The only reason I would say this might not be erwinia is because the post was posted in November (fall) when temperatures are cooler. Obviously Theodore could be living in the southern hemisphere (though I recall he is from US) and temperatures growing indoors can be warmer than normal seasonal fluctuations.

BUT if it is erwinia, likely the plant is dead by now if it wasn't controlled right away. So @Theodoreorchidking did it survive?

This was mentioned in other posts but one of the best ways to handle erwinia is reducing the pH to 5.5-6.0.

The only reason I would say this might not be erwinia is because the post was posted in November (fall) when temperatures are cooler. Obviously Theodore could be living in the southern hemisphere (though I recall he is from US) and temperatures growing indoors can be warmer than normal seasonal fluctuations.

BUT if it is erwinia, likely the plant is dead by now if it wasn't controlled right away. So @Theodoreorchidking did it survive?

This was mentioned in other posts but one of the best ways to handle erwinia is reducing the pH to 5.5-6.0.
PEY is dead but the Michelle koopowitz is alive. It was reduced to one growth but now us putting out a new one. Another one of my plants is showing similar signs so I removed the growth put fungicide and cinomon. Will check tonight if it is spread. I live in northern united states and they are always indoors

It is my observation that its also a kind of “nutritional problem” of the plant. The best way to prevent such infections is to keep the nutritional and environmental conditions (pH value) optimal. Its about the quantity of nutrients but also about their ratio to each other.

Some say keep the pH value to 5.5-6.0 but I lime all my Paphs very heavily, regularly, and have never had any problems with fungal infections. I therefore do not think that a low pH value is a panacea.

My observation is that many people simply 'feed' too little (and should use more Urea/Ammonium) which is of course also an interplay with the consumption of the plant (light) and the temperature. Strong seasonal changes - too little light but too warm coupled with dry heating air - and then the change to summer can also put a lot of stress on a plant. They are better off in a greenhouse but there it gets extremely cold in winter, extremely hot in summer. No easy way and very individual depending on each owns conditions. 🤷‍♂️

I've had this several times - Phrags mostly. I sterilise a scalep or razor blade, surgically remove all I can see with tweezers, then spread a generous amount of cinnamon on the wound. It usually works, but I might do a seconf operation if I haven't removed enough.

Back