Pecteilis sagarikii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks :) I do repot yearly, so not sure if that is the problem. Do you add limestone in the mix for your susannae? I put a lot of charcoal and limestone, but the roots don't seem to grow very strong..

No, nothing special about the potting mix, the same as for P. sagarikiii. The water in my town is high in dissolved salts, so I don't add any lime, just a bit of charcoal to the mix. Lots of water and warmth early, starting around May, seems to be the trick. If I wait too long the plant can't flower before the true cold weather sets in. I'm not sure about the roots on mine, but they must be pretty strong. Usually goes dormant in December or January.

I just found this while searching the web for information on this species. (bought a flask of it today) My books have nothing. How is your plant doing Tom. Still alive?? Have you learned any additional info?

I just found this while searching the web for information on this species. (bought a flask of it today) My books have nothing. How is your plant doing Tom. Still alive?? Have you learned any additional info?

Ah, I fear I've lost that little beauty - winter cold got the dormant tubers. If you grow them warm year round, I think they should be fine for you. Just back off on the water in winter to next to nothing and keep them warm. See if you can find the white flowered form too - it is big in comparison, and IMO may be a different species, or perhaps a polyploid.

This is pretty! Too bad that you lost it.

Tom, how about Pecteilis susannae? Is it still alive? I received a tuber this summer, but it seems to be a tough plant to keep it going.

This is pretty! Too bad that you lost it.

Tom, how about Pecteilis susannae? Is it still alive? I received a tuber this summer, but it seems to be a tough plant to keep it going.

Ha! I had that one for around 4-5 years, it flowered twice and I killed it too - even faster in fact :sob: Just too damn cold here in winter and as you know, old Japanese houses are not really heated...

Ha! I had that one for around 4-5 years, it flowered twice and I killed it too - even faster in fact :sob: Just too damn cold here in winter and as you know, old Japanese houses are not really heated...

That's too bad, but you managed to make it flower twice! That is cool. Do you recommend that no water during the dormancy, and start to water when the leaves start to poke out?

Yes, Japanese houses are cold; my wife complains that my parent's house in Kagawa is colder than Alaska!

Latest posts

Back