Fall flowers in southern Japan

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
My first post in a long time due to my back being less than cooperative of late. I will try to be more frequent a visitor on the forum.

Early fall always means pleasant weather - sunny and warm - and quite a few things are flowering at this time. The downside is that the mosquitoes are abnormally active since they were nearly wiped out by the record summer heat and have come back with the dropping temperatures. Also, things always look a bit bitten by now. These pics were taken over the last few weeks and some are now out of flower.

A little Pleurothallis from Brazil's southern mountains, P. sonderana, seems to handle both the winter cold and summer heat of southern Japan just fine. It even endures my negligence, in fact rewarding me with flowers every year.

Pleuothallis910.jpg

One I cannot grow outside is the tropical Habenaria medusa. It has proven to be fairly easy in cultivation however provided it is kept dry during its winter rest. It is very easy to lose the dormant tubers to rot if the growing medium is kept too moist and cool.

HabenariaMedusaFLSCL.jpg

Here it is again with Pecteilis sagarikii, another SE Asian terrestrial that requires a long, dry winter rest.

PectSagaHabMedusaFTLT.jpg

Now some others in the garden. Tricyrtis macrantha was ravaged by late season rot and bugs, but still managed to push out these lovely flowers. This truly must be the most spectacular toad lily.

TricyrtisMacranthaFLSCL.jpg

Continuing with the orange theme, Lycoris aurea is flowering as well. I have another clone that consistently flowers 3 weeks later, on the very eaves of true fall conditions - many cool rainy days and cold nights.

LycorisAurea-1.jpg

A tropical bromeliad that has managed to survive one season outdoors is this Neoregelia 'Fireball', though I can't recommend it for garden culture here. It sustained a lot of damage over last winter and is just starting to look pretty good. I'm sure it will take a big hit again this year.

RedBromeliad2SM.jpg

A southern Japanese native perennial, Pollia japonica, gone to seed. It is a near weed and needs controlling on a yearly basis.

PolliaJaponicaFRT.jpg

Alocasia macrorrhiza 'Okinawa Silver' certainly has interesting leaves. Not winter hardy here.

AlocasiaMacroVarLF.jpg

Hmmmm, lots of yellow. I wonder why?! :poke:

Beautiful, Tom. Lovely photos, too. Especially Pollia japonica, Tricyrtis macrantha and, of course, Habenaria medusae.

Love the Habenaria and Pectilis!! :clap: Thanks for sharing, and hope your back get better real soon!!

All gorgeous!!! Hey when is the best time to visit Japan for the Apple Blossom season? Would the middle of May be ok?

Darren

Thanks for all the praise everyone!

All gorgeous!!! Hey when is the best time to visit Japan for the Apple Blossom season? Would the middle of May be ok?

Darren

Darren, I think you mean the cherry blossoms? In general they flower in April in the south and as late as early May in the far north (northern Honshu and Hokkaido).

crazy Tricyrtis
do the flowers open up any?

Nope, that's it! Large size though and many open at one time.

Thanks for these great pics Tom, and all the possible best for your back!!!! Jean

Very slowing coming along Jean. I've still not been on the forum much cause it hurts too much!:sob:

One more in flower now, an unnamed Lithops.

LithopsSD.jpg

Last, and possibly the least, my only P. charlesworthii. Believe it or not, this is her best flower yet. Hmm....

PaphCharlesworthii.jpg

Last edited:
I should try those little stones. Maybe someday...

Your charles has great color, and a wonderful frilly dorsal. I know that's not "desirable" but it's kinda cute.

Tom,Great photos-you've got a great eye for composition!
Have you thought of getting a laptop so you can use the computer when resting? My family got me one a few weeks ago because sitting at the computer (or sitting in general) is painful for my back.
Hope you feel better soon!

:clap::clap: What a cool variety of blooms/plants!
......Your charles has great color, and a wonderful frilly dorsal. I know that's not "desirable" but it's kinda cute.
I think so too. You say this is the best blooming, how many times has it bloomed? and what did it look like in comparison?

Latest posts

Back