Paphs in orchiata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:confused: why should it? Plant & media would be defying gravity! Do you wet the media or plant dry? If dry, I could see it being light it would float. I got some Orchidata from Ray when he offered his special, it's hard to describe, not what I expected, not as dry as Rexius but it's not moist either, I don't see where it's going to be any problem.

James in Hawaii pots in straight Orchidata and I always have excellent roots when I pull his plants out. 90% of the time there is moss growing on the top of his pots to.

The silicate levels in Protekt also exceeds the K (probably since potash is just burned up plant material anyway).
????????

The potash used in fertilizers is a mined mineral, with most coming out of Saskatchewan.

Pro-Tekt is a potassium silicate (K2SiO3) solution. Potassium makes up almost 51% of the molecular weight, while silicon is only 31%.

????????

The potash used in fertilizers is a mined mineral, with most coming out of Saskatchewan.

Pro-Tekt is a potassium silicate (K2SiO3) solution. Potassium makes up almost 51% of the molecular weight, while silicon is only 31%.

http://www.dyna-gro.com/003.htm

They must be doing the math on silicate and not elemental silicon. They have silicon (as Silicates) at 7.8% and potassium (as K2O) at 3.7%

The term potash comes from the practice of soaking wood ashes in a pot of water. These days gardeners still often throw wood ashes into there gardens as "potash". True, present day commercial potash is mined from geologic deposits of potassium rich rock.

Just wondering though if coal is prehistoric mineralized plants, is "potash" mineralized, prehistoric wood ashes from giant forest fires?

I just picked up 2 pallets of Orchiata for our OS from Acadian wholesalers (I think) out of GA, great prices on that quantity, well under $20 per bag. The stuff looks awesome and I cant wait to get some plants in it to try it out

maybe potash comes from seared plants after a land comet or asteroid strike? or trees etc hit by volcanic activity?

Maybe? Seems like some of the deposits are kind of big for an asteroid strike. But after some of the fires we've seen in the last decade (started just by lightning strikes, I could imagine huge burning forests covered by volcanic ash as a mechanism.

:) I was thinking big; maybe reading too many sci-fi disaster books ;) . I think i've heard that a comet or asteroid hit near the great lakes a while back (quite a while)
Millions of years ago, so says my geographer husband, one hit north of Lake Huron in Ontario, Canada.

:) I think i've heard that a comet or asteroid hit near the great lakes a while back (quite a while)

Yeah I remember that one. That woke a lot of people all the way in LA when it hit.:rollhappy:
:poke::poke:

Could be seriously. There is supposed to be some really good evidence still for the asteroid hit causing the end of the dino's.

well, if you think about all the mastodons that died with green stuff in their mouths and their stomachs (and were frozen and perfectly preserved), there had to be some very large and fast event that killed them and buried them under lots of snow very quickly. I heard that at the archaeology meeting where they announced the mastodon finds, they actually served up mastodon meat (they had been pulled out of glaciers I think) at least that was the rumor

It was mammoths....and they fed it to the dogs because it wasn't fit for human consumption. But all those frozen mammoths died at different times. In many cases its because they fell into a crevasse and got trapped.

well, if you think about all the mastodons that died with green stuff in their mouths and their stomachs (and were frozen and perfectly preserved), there had to be some very large and fast event that killed them and buried them under lots of snow very quickly. I heard that at the archaeology meeting where they announced the mastodon finds, they actually served up mastodon meat (they had been pulled out of glaciers I think) at least that was the rumor

It was mammoths....and they fed it to the dogs because it wasn't fit for human consumption. But all those frozen mammoths died at different times. In many cases its because they fell into a crevasse and got trapped.

And mastadons & mammoths lived millions of years after the dinosaurs all died off. Except for birds. :D

What's this all got to do with growing in Orchiata?:rollhappy:

Yoouuurrr Crazy:poke:

Really?

Mastodon meat?

Really?

untitled.jpg

What's this all got to do with growing in Orchiata?:rollhappy:

wellll, the orchiata could have been treated with calcium that originally came from mammoth bones (that were trapped in crevasses) :rolleyes:

yes, I had read in some magazine about the meeting and they 'served' wooly mammoth meat, and eric m. had heard/read it as well, except that they gave it to the dogs (it's not april 1st yet :rollhappy:)

I think this is a good idea in general. The stuff in the bottom half of the pot goes bad faster than we realize.

That's why I've switched most of my paphs into baskets (started thread on this in Jan 2010).

But I'm also finding that "stale, bad, broke-down" mix is probably one that just has accumulated too much potassium (a whole separate set of threads).

Orchiata bark is enfused with Ca/Mg making it more resistant to ion exchange transfer of K.

Rick, I don't understand your last statement. What does that mean???

All the organic media we typically use, dead sphag, bark, CHC or coir, peat, will preferentially absorb mono valent cations (Na and K) and give up divalent cations (Mg/Ca).

All of these natural plant/wood products have all of the NPK Ca/Mg in them already and as they break down will give these up. But the pores in these materials (that we prize as water holding systems like sponges) are charged to the point they also retain/exchange nutrients.

You may remember some of the old conversations from the Wellingtons about conditioning CHC with calcium nitrate and mag sulfate to drive out the Na/K retained in the pores. Actually it takes strong concentrations of Ca/Mg to drive out relatively weak concentrations of K since the affinity for the monovalents is so high. However, the system is easily reversible without consistent and high availabiltiy of Ca/Mg in the potting mix or irrigation water.

So every time you fertilize a little bit goes to the plants and a lot goes into the pores in the potting mix. The organic constituents preferentially(as do the plants themselves) keep the K and let the Ca/Mg pass through. So over time you end up with very high concentration of K in the plants and potting mixes. If you preload your mix with Ca/Mg (or "infuse the chips with Ca/Mg as for Orchiata) you can stretch the life of the mix with even fairly high K fertilizers. If you reduce the amount of K going to the plant and mix in the first place, you could probably run a mix to complete physical breakdown and still have the plants do good. How many orchids (let alone paphs) can you think of that have roots completely exposed to air? Stuck to the sides of trees or limestone cliffs (also note that limestones contain almost no K, so where do all those calciolus paphs get their K)? Remember some of the insitu pics of P sukhakulii growing on rotten logs? That's a dense material around those roots, but if that was in a pot we'd claim that it would die of root suffocation from a broken down mix.

I guess just about everyone growing orchids in some type of organic media has observed "mix going bad, breaking down, going sour, salt build up........." and always looking for the "ultimate mix". The salt build up argument cracks me up when we look at species like exul and niveum that get spayed by ocean waves. That's a ton of salt compared to anything we water with, BUT these plants are growing on potassium free limestone, and getting watered, not only by rain, but by ocean water that inherently has several times more Mg and Ca than K.

I have observed a commonality in all these symptoms of bad mix and fertilizing which relates back to excess K. It's kind of funny at this point since I've left a handful of paphs in old bark mixes, that a making new big gains in the same old rotten mix, and I've done this by getting the K way down and boosting Ca/Mg.

I used to have pretty poor longterm luck with adult Barbata types and paph seedlings in general in CHC. So I'm experimenting with a handfull of seedlings Barbata and Multis in CHC with the reduced K diet.

Latest posts

Back