Paphiopedilum x glanzii, a new natural hybrid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...it was stated that Franz Glanz actually buy his micrnthum x emrsonii hybrids from a nursery in Austria, which automatically would make the plants he sells as Paph. x glanzii to be Paph. Lola Bird...

well, unless it was by crossing xglanzii x xglanzii.
right?

Dear Ramon,
the original plant of Paph. x glanzii did not come from Austria, also the other came from North-Germany.

Frnaz cultivate also som plants of Paph. Lola Bird with really different labels. There was no mixture in the last years how I could notice there.

Best greetings

Olaf

Thanks Olaf! That's what I knew about FG, and is also aligned with my knowledge and experience with his nursery.

My question was more intended also to know about possible differences betwenn both, that could help to tell them apart... I do not know very well about natural Paph hybrids, but at least in Catasetum that is possible.

Dear Ramon,
in the description of Paphiopedilum x glanzii I showed the natural hybrid together with the artificial hybrid Paph. Lola Bird. There is no difference between, only the typical variability in the primary hybrids.

When the artificial hybrid has a latinized name then the natural hybrid must have the same name. But normally the artificial hybrids have not a latinized name, so it is possible to give these hybrids a new name together with a latin description and an official publication.

Best greetings

Olaf

Thanks for the post and info, Olaf. I think I like the pale pink one in the first pic best. Now if my Lola Birds would just get big enough to bloom....

I repeat myself. In order to maintain the strict distinction between the man-made hybrid and the natural one you should send one glanzii to me for careful observation! :p

Fascinating!

hi Olaf,

is it possible that it's a natural hybrid with Paph. huonglanae x micranthum ?
both are found in Vietnam it's a well known fact that orchids don't recognize
country borders, neither do the minorities that cross borders in order to collect plants for their order,
they send them to their Patron sometimes in China sometimes in Hanoi.
so if they were coming from China they are Chinese if somebody ordered them in Vietnam they are Vietnamese ,
we see a lot of these cross border practice all over Asia .
many orchid species are being collected in China,
Myanmar,Laos and Cambodia they all are being shipped to Bangkok for sale therefor often identified as a Thai specie.
Cliokchi;)

This is such a good reminder!

Dear Cliokchi,
I had forgotten to answer.
It is really possible that the plants are the result of the cross between the vietnamese form of Paph. emersonii (named inofficially in an article as Paph. huonglaniae) and the vietnamese micranthum.

Best greetings

Olaf

Latest posts

Back